The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Rusted Fuel Sending Unit

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

airmail96

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 28, 2005
Virginia Beach, Virginia
So I have the common rusty fuel sending unit, so rusted though that the metal hard line coming out the top has developed a crack and started leaking through. At first I thought that i could fix it possibly using some fuel tank repair putty and some sealant but everytime I thought I had it completely sealed the leak would just re appear somewhere else.

So I guess I was wondering on my options since this thing is pretty rusty on the top. I tried scraping as much of the rust as I could off is it worth trying one last time sealing it with the gas tank putty or is the pressure just never going to allow that?

My other option is just giving up on the putty and ordering the full blown dual pump hanger setup and the STM tank to rail kit.

I would rather not swap in a used unit because I honestly don't want to deal with disconnecting the stock soft line from the hard line coming out of the unit.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Here's showing the unit and the putty that I have already applied. Around the edge there is a nice little gap from where I didn't take the time to scrap off as much of the rust before hand as I could. I have since scrapped the rust back, if I were going to retry with the putty I would make sure it got completely underneath the lip.

maybe its time for an upgrade. if u try to fix that , and it happens again your going to be pissed. just get rid of the problem now.

I just had the same problem mine wasnt as rusty though. I removed the hanger assembly and cleaned it up as much as i could. Then I cut off most of the original line leaving about a 1/4 inch or so. I ordered a -6 an fitting and had it tig welded on. You would have to run -6 line now but it beats ordering a new sending unit.

I just had the same problem mine wasnt as rusty though. I removed the hanger assembly and cleaned it up as much as i could. Then I cut off most of the original line leaving about a 1/4 inch or so. I ordered a -6 an fitting and had it tig welded on. You would have to run -6 line now but it beats ordering a new sending unit.

See, that's why I am just thinking screw it, buy the Full Blown setup and call it a day, and with as rusty as it looks is it even worth saving?

Here was my fix. (along with a new feed line with inline filter)
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back