The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Rust problem and my solution

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sschambers

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 26, 2007
Hermitage, Pennsylvania
So I've only ever had to patch 2 small spots on my 97 GS-T since I've had it. Even though it came from New York, it's in excellent shape.

I jacked up the rear last night around 9 to fix my exhaust rattle. Well I fixed the rattle, but while under the car I was peeking around and found a spot that looked like it might be rusted...

I took my fist and GENTLY just tapped upwards, and the next thing I know my hand is inside my hatch. So I got a small mallett and tapped all the bad metal away. Well it wasn't just a little bit of bad metal...It was a lot of bit. Before I knew it, I had a hole big enough that I could stick my head through. I realized what had caused this problem.

About 6 months after I got my car I realized the drain pipe for the passenger side hatch was clogged up. I'm thinking that the whole time it was clogged it, water had accumulated in the small area behind the plastic hatch panel (passenger side panel). Causing it to rust out. Because my driver's side rear is in perfect shape.

After hours and hours....and hours of grinding, sanding, cleaning and forming a new piece to fit from scrap sheet metal, I finally finished it. Now I have no more worries about rust. The welds are strong, the patch is durable and I feel confident that this piece won't rust again.

The piece of scrap metal that I used was actually a piece of thin steel from an old tool box. It seemed to be a tad thicker than what originally was in there. Here's some pics...

BTW: it was hell trying to weld right next to the gas filler tube...

Top view of rust hole

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Bottom view

Another bottom view

Top view with patch welded in

Passenger view w/o wheel and undercoat applied

Bottom view, undercoat applied. Had to drill a hole for the drain hose.

Top view, undercoat applied

Bottom view, hoses re-installed

Same as previous, different angle

The damage...

Just goes to show, a little rust won't ever keep her off the road. I don't care if the entire body rots away, I'll find a way to fabricate it back to operable shape :D

Yeah those shitty drains get clogged a lot. I have some rust as well but not as bad as yours. I'm trying to think up ways to prevent it. Might have to resort bedlining the whole trunk.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back