The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Rust inside engine

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James_24

Proven Member
Sep 25, 2018
Puyallup, Washington
This engine was rebuilt by my brother in laws brorher about 5 years ago. It sat inside tbe gsx outside for about 1 year. Then I got the gsx from mt parents house and i moved it to my garage about 4 years ago.

The engine looks like it ia rusty on the inside and I am going to have to open it up and clean it all out.

My question for you is would you do the same based off of these photos alone.

Attachments

• 20210227_024248.jpg
    20210227_024248.jpg
    969.1 KB · Views: 61
  • 20210227_024221.jpg
    20210227_024221.jpg
    830.8 KB · Views: 64
  • 20210227_024302.jpg
    20210227_024302.jpg
    991.5 KB · Views: 61
no need to tear it down, just put a bottle of cooling system flush thru it when its up and running.

If it was sitting for 4 years i would clean the flywheel, spray some wd40 inside the cylinders from the spark plugs holes, turn it few times and do a coolant flush like dustyboner said.

Okay I was for thinking I was going to have to tear it down i still might do it just to double check things and see how bad the rust is. Also there is no better way to learn than by taking it apart and puttinf it back together.

If i do take it all apart I should replace head gasket right?

If i do take it all apart I should replace head gasket right?

1,000,000% yes. I’d run evaporust for the rusty coolant ports. Like previously mentioned, rust in the cylinder walls and bearing journals are going to be an issue if it didn’t have oil in it.

I will find out soon. I need to get my xhereu picker back from my friend. Get an engine stand and put it on there.

Then i will disassemble the head from block and check for ruat through out. All thw ehile i will clean uo the oil passage ways. Also i will clean the inside of rust with coffew filters and atf and pray that it is not to deep in there with rust.

Also yes on resurfacing.

Parts i will need?
Head gasket?

Any special tools i nwws to have ready to go?

Thank you guys!!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back