The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Rust in open block?!? Help

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

____Kurt____

10+ Year Contributor
Jul 14, 2009
North, New_Jersey
Ok so I got my motor back from the machinist 3 weeks ago and have had no time to work on it but it is in a bag. I am getting concerned with some small surface rust popping up and I'm not sure how to handle this. The cylinder walls are fine but Im not sure what's safe to put on there to prevent this until I can complete my built. A friend joking around suggested spraying wd40 all over the internals but I don't want it to affect anything (assembly lube ,bearings, seals, etc.)
What are my options and am I just over reacting? Thanks
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

That isn't going to hurt anything. IF you are worried about it than give it a light coat of wd40. Just keep it the bag and it will be fine.

Looks fine i used wd40 in my walls and bagged it up after the machine shop was done, nothing to worry about.

We do something similar to all our motors. Just keep them well oiled and no more rust issue. But you are fine. NOW GET IT IN THE CAR LOL...

Hey guys thanks for the replies so quick. Yea I just went over as much stuff as I could with a oil soaked rag and what I couldn't reach I did a light coat of WD.
Front case is almost complete then I need to bolt down the head. After that motor is complete but then I need to paint the engine bay and convert a ton of stuff.
Other than that thanks and I definitely need to get this done!

That look normal to me, you shouldnt have any problems with that. I agree with WD-40, waht you can also do is put some marvel mystery oil around the piston rings, just a little. I had an issue with my nissan ones i took the head of and let the car seat for about 2 weeks, and all the ring froze, so i had 2 add marvel mystery exactly into the combustion chamber and let it soak for couple days. That stuff is great believ me

How long to you plan to let it sit before you install it?

A light coat every monlt or two will keep rust at bay.

You did right by whiping the cyl with oil.

The engine will be sitting hopefully not that long. Maybe another month before it's in because when I pull the other one I have to paint the engine bay and all that jazz.
I do have a question tho about the oiling. Will wiping oil on the block where the oil pan sits affect my sealing with the gaskets when I go to RTV it? I'm hoping the oil saturated gaskets won't leak is what I'm saying.

Just take a clean blue paper towel and wipe the gasket surfaces off with some brake clean, it will remove the oil for a clean dry sealing surface.

The engine will be sitting hopefully not that long. Maybe another month before it's in because when I pull the other one I have to paint the engine bay and all that jazz.
I do have a question tho about the oiling. Will wiping oil on the block where the oil pan sits affect my sealing with the gaskets when I go to RTV it? I'm hoping the oil saturated gaskets won't leak is what I'm saying.

Its not gonna do anything, if you fear that much when you are ready to assemble them, just degrease them with degreaser before you put your RTV's. And don't forget to oil the deck surface because they will rust aswell. In general oil the f**k out it and everything.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back