The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

running rich with new 16g?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woody354

Probationary Member
Nov 18, 2011
mooresville, North_Carolina
So I bought my eclipse and blew the stock turbo and found a good deal on a big 16g and upgraded to that. Other than the turbo the car is bone stock still, I just installed an aftermarket boost gauge and as I expected the boost is set to 8lbs on the 16g. Im still learning about these cars and I'm curious if that if running 8lbs compared to the stock 14lbs or so, if my car might be running rich or does the computer see that and adjust for it? Also, I know if i dont get the supporting mods I will hit fuel cut, but other than that would it be safe to turn the boost up to like 12-14 lbs on the 16g untill I get around to the supporting mods? Thanks in advance for any info!

Check for boost leaks.

I didn't mean to sound like there was a leak, when i got the new turbo it came with a wastegate which is set at 8lbs, so what I was wondering is if the new wastegate opening at a lower psi would affect the a/f ratio at all or does the computer see the difference?

IT will not make a difference for the a/f ratio at lower boost. If you have a boost leak though it will make the car run rich, so test for boost leaks.

IT will not make a difference for the a/f ratio at lower boost. If you have a boost leak though it will make the car run rich, so test for boost leaks.

Alright cool, I dont feel like it is running rich, i just wanted to be sure. I haven't done a full boost leak test yet but after I check and make sure there is none or fix any that i might have, would it be safe to run a manual boost controller and up it to around 12-14lbs on the bigger turbo? I'm not trying to do too much yet until I can get the other necessary mods done, I was just wondering if running the 16g at the same lbs the t25 was running would be an issue untill then?

no itll be fine you can run max 15 psi on stock fuel system i do suggest a wideband to monitor the the a/f ratio

Arlight thanks, and I do plan on getting one soon. I'm in between jobs right now so I'm trying to make due with what I have, but it's definantly on the long list of things I want to get.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats one of the best investments you can make is a wideband and a tuning device so you can see whats going on even a logger will help, widebands are one of those cheap insurance, compared to a broken engine.

I also have a B16G, but running 450 stock injectors..and stock boost gauge at WOT reads me close to 12PSI ... car can still can get up and go.

If you want more power, go up to 550's with some engine management...

I also have a B16G, but running 450 stock injectors..and stock boost gauge at WOT reads me close to 12PSI ... car can still can get up and go.

If you want more power, go up to 550's with some engine management...

Yea, mine came with a wastgate set at 8lbs and I actually just got one of those $14 boost controllers off ebay and turned it up to 13 lbs and its a big difference. I definantly want to get all my fuel mods caught up at some point, after a few other maintenence things I have to do before I can start trying to push anymore power out of it.

i have a 16g in mine and stock injectors. I set mine at 14psi. I dont run rich, if anything i start to slightly lean out at peak boost but not enough to be in danger of blowing stuff up.Honestly the injectors wont help much without a computer upgrade. it would be better to spend money on a wideband and be able to moniter whats going on, if youdont have about 600$ to dump into it for fuel management

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back