The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G Running on 2 cylinders, cant get home, need help!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

406_Talon

Supporting Member
Jun 30, 2014
Kalispell, Montana
Trying to get car running well on SD, been battling some issues, I have a thread with all of that info. Drove to work to get some logs, car was ok but I've had a persistent misfire above 5k for a while. Thought it was the tune, others said it's my sparktech cop so I was gonna change it. Then driving home after a long pull at low boost it started breaking up and stumbling and kept doing it, then started sounding like a Subaru and making no power. I pulled over, it kinda idles but not really. I was logging the whole time but cant post it from my phone, I will when I get home. I have a coil and wires so I connected it and tested spark at the coil by pulling the wires and I got healthy spark at the coil side. But in doing this I noticed some weird wiring situation going on, see pics for detail. There is an identical plug to my coil plug tucked into my engine bay, and there is a suspicious wire that was soldered to the coil pigtail wire that was plugged in to the cop when it was running. Aftwr untaping(!) The wires under the split loom, I have what's in the pics. To make sure that yellow wire was connected to the spot it broke off of, I tried it real tight. Pulled the plugs, 1 and 3 were pretty wet. I started it (with the coil sitting on my strut bar LOL) and it still runs bad. I pulled the injector plugs 1 by 1 and it seemed like cyl 3 made no difference. I suspect the ptu or the cas, or a bad injector maybe, but it's in a bad spot to work. Will I hurt it if I limp it home? What should i do? I have to get a multimeter, I have to work at 6 and I'm frantically trying to figure this out. Sorry if this was a ramble but I'm trying to figure stuff out. I'm gonna go put the cop back on and see if cooling off helped at all, do you think I'm ok to limp it along? How much do I have to run it with no spark to hydrolock? Am I ok if I go in spurts?I have like 10 miles to get it home... a tow is 200$

Oops here's the pics.

Attachments

• part0.jpg
    part0.jpg
    398 KB · Views: 76
  • part0(1).jpg
    part0(1).jpg
    261.9 KB · Views: 75
  • part0(3).jpg
    part0(3).jpg
    370.5 KB · Views: 81
Yeah the poor car is sleeping on the side of the highway, no tow trucks available, got a ride cuz I couldn't even limp it along it just bucks super hard and wont get going. It is stuck in ol, but I would think it would still run, right? This morning on my drive, and right before it went, It was idling perfect at .25 afpr and .30, o2 cycling normally. I noticed in the log though that it did fall out of closed loop in cruise... I have to I still have the rear o2 also, but I might try swapping the sensor for my buddies'. Assuming I have a car in the morning LOL, the tweakers here are industrious as hell.

I don't recall what plugs could be there, maybe crank sensor and a/c compressor?
As for the wire, that looks like a tach signal wire for a remote start/alarm, is/was there one installed on the car? If so, check and make sure it's not shorted to ground anywhere.

I imagine that's what it is, there was a security system with a remote start that never worked, I suppose the broken wire was why. It made no noticeable difference attached or unattached. I'm gonna delete all of that anyway, this is as good a reason as any. I looked through the big post in here with all the connectors labeled, and i don't see that connector mentioned. But i dont think they detail ac stuff and mine was deleted. That makes sense.

That "misfire" above 5k could have been knock/detonation melting things in your engine as in your spark plugs, valves, etc. A compression check is in order here.

Moto, that was my thought as well at first, and I will be doing a compression test, but the plugs looked fine and it was doing it even on wg pressure, so I HOPE I just have an electrical issue. Gonna get to figuring it out tonight.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back