The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

2G Running hot

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Talon64

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 1, 2007
Milford, New_Jersey
I have an issue with my car running hot. A month a go my turbo grenaded and put a hole in my stock radiator. I got a new mishimoto radiator to replace it. I started to have issues running hot than. I order a mishimoto shroud and new thermostat and rad cap. Still having overheating issue. I loosen each headstud one at a time and retorqued them. Just finished with brand new aisin waterpump and just did the timing belt. Car still overheats. The headgasket was done couple months ago. No bubbling coming from over flow. I am out of ideas. Fans work. One pushes and another pulls. Dsmlink shows 223 at idle. It creeps up to that number. Haven't seen it go past that and it's only 85 degrees out. I do have ac but wasn't on.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/ge...ere-you-thought-only-a-slim-fan-could.436945/

Yo definitely give this a shot if you can fit one. You would be surprised at how much more room you get with this. I had to do this because of my fluidyne radiator (its thicker than OEM) install.

This only works with the smaller metal fan, but its well worth doing especially with the longevity of those fans (designed to take the heat of the manifold).

Another possibility is that your heater core is clogged causing your coolant not to circulate through the system. Easy way to check that is to let your car heat up and blast the hot air in the car. If it comes out continuously hot then you're fine but if it cools off after being on for a minute then it's probably clogged. I had that issue on my 1g and was able to unclog it with an air compressor hose in the exit side hose and a milk carton on the entrance side hose to catch the crap that came out then ran clean water through it the same way to get out the rest. Never had an issue like that afterwards.

id use water wetter to help cool it too once you get it all sorted out cooled my car a bit

Very good on heater core . In my 37 years experience i have seen heater cores cause an overheating problem.

I may have misdeed some devious suggestions. you said you added a new radiator . The new radiator you installed might be a little thicker than the original and if you are running aftermarket inter cooler the thickness has a lot to do with your cooling . If your block was machined this is another factor.

I have an issue with my car running hot. A month a go my turbo grenaded and put a hole in my stock radiator. I got a new mishimoto radiator to replace it. I started to have issues running hot than. I order a mishimoto shroud and new thermostat and rad cap. Still having overheating issue. I loosen each headstud one at a time and retorqued them. Just finished with brand new aisin waterpump and just did the timing belt. Car still overheats. The headgasket was done couple months ago. No bubbling coming from over flow. I am out of ideas. Fans work. One pushes and another pulls. Dsmlink shows 223 at idle. It creeps up to that number. Haven't seen it go past that and it's only 85 degrees out. I do have ac but wasn't on.

Hello Talon64,

Thanks for the post! I am sorry you are having overheating issues. If you are overheating at idle, we suggest for you to check a few things including the fans, thermostat, and making sure all air is bled from the system. It sounds like you have already bled the system a few times in order troubleshoot.

Were you having this same problem with the car prior to installing the Mishimoto radiator and fan shroud by chance?
Have you confirmed that the thermostat was installed correctly and is the proper unit for your vehicle/motor?
You mentioned that one fan on the shroud and one pushes? I see that you later mention you have another fan up front pushing. Can you help me understand exactly how you have yours fan set up?
If you feel that the shroud is what is causing the issue, we would be happy to send you two universal mounting kits if you would like to experiment with the Mishimoto fans mounted directly against the radiator's core.

Feel free to contact us directly at [email protected] if you have any additional questions!

Thanks
Pat

I was running 2 SPAL pushers and they were spraying air more than pushing it through the radiator. I went with a Mishimoto X radiator and put a SPAL 12" puller on the passenger side and my temps are now back to normal and I never use the pushers, they inhibit the flow even when I have the puller on and a pusher on so go to the puller and use the stock one if you can. I can't because of the HX40 being in the way so that's why I went with a SPAL puller. Helped me. ALSO....I am running a mid '80's Camaro front air dam to get my air up to my radiator since I also have a big VRSF intercooler blocking a lot of air. When I get on the highway, I don't have to use the fan at all, the air dam picks up plenty and cools great. Just something I had on a spare parts car and the thing fits almost perfect other than it is a bit tall, but it clears the 3" clearance required at our local track.

OK I got oem thermostat and flushed the system again. Took fan shroud off and have 10 inch fan. My car still gets 223 at idle and then the fan will kick in and drop it down. While driving car gets maybe 210. Idle or slow flow car gets warm. I also have redline water wetter or whatever it's called. This all happened when turbo grenaded and took out my stock rad.

You said that this all started after you blew your turbo . Did you change your set up. Are you running an external waste gate or an exhaust header . My car started running hot after i went with an external waste gate on the o2 housing . . To solve the problem i wrapped the o2 and installed a colder thermostat and wired my fan to run on only high speed . I have the stock fan on the p/s and a pusher fan on the front of the radiator on the d/s for the a/c .

Everything is still the same. Its external dump but recirculated. I did the coolant offset by 12 and the car runs cooler now. It kicks on 216 and kicks off at 203 now at idle. Cruising is at 196 but idle it would get hot. Now it's fine but I didnt want to use coolant offset

Is there sealed ducting between the FMIC and the radiator?

Earlier in this thread one of the wisemen asked this same question, but I couldn't find your answer if you already did answer it.

I'm having an overheating problem of my own on my 1g, so I feel your pain.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back