The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

ECMlink Running ecmlink without tuning.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Cuervo

15+ Year Contributor
Nov 7, 2004
Omaha, Nebraska
Hey guys what's up?
I was wondering. Can ecmlink be installed and run with the stock tune or without the need to do any tuning? Why? For different reasons such as: needing to break in a new engine, having an old engine and just want drive it with the stock tune, not having the time and or experience to tune, or any other reason.
So, if it is possible then here are some questions:
Can ecmlink be configured to run SD, Evo MAF, gm maf instead of the stock maf and just be fine with the stock tune without having to tune? Or is the stock maf required?

Why do I as this? Well, I have not run my car for a very long time, so I'm starting to come back to it. My engine is not the best and burns oil but I want to run it a bit longer before I do a few your things. In the near future, I want to use this engine to practice my tuning skills but for the time being, I want run it as is without getting into tuning right now and just safety increasing the boost level in an attempt to make as much hp as I possibly can with the stock tune and maybe downloading some Evo 8 timing, fuel maps and see where it takes me. This is my experimental engine so to speak. I have a build one ready to go in but NOT yet.

I have ecmlink installed and set up to run SD but I can switch it back to MAF if needed. I also have an LC1 installed with the brown wire to the ECU.

Thanks for the input guys.

Yes to literally every question you asked, HOWEVER... switching to SD will get you in the ballpark for a tune, but will def need to be refined some and its even stated on their site that a stock loaded tune will get you started up and running but needs to be dialed in. There is sooo much info on here about ECMlink and tuning so be prepared for a lot of reading and messing around with it. Literally doing it myself right now. Also youtube it as well, tons of videos there that helps a lot too.

Yes to literally every question you asked, HOWEVER... switching to SD will get you in the ballpark for a tune, but will def need to be refined some and its even stated on their site that a stock loaded tune will get you started up and running but needs to be dialed in. There is sooo much info on here about ECMlink and tuning so be prepared for a lot of reading and messing around with it. Literally doing it myself right now. Also youtube it as well, tons of videos there that helps a lot too.
Thanks man. This is great! I will start tuning in the near future, God willing. But first I'd like to see how much I can push the stock tune with just boost. Push the stock injectors as much as I can. I do have a set of 1150cc fic injectors, that I'm saving for my build engine once I learn how to tune with ecmlink.

One more question if you don't mind. So when uploading the timing and Fuel tables from an Evo 8. Can I still run the stock 450 injectors? Or do I need to run Evo 8 injectors? I also have a set if Evo 8 injectors and an evo 8 maf. Or I should say: Is it possible to run Evo 8 injectors and Evo MAF once I load up the Evo timing and Fuel tables without having to tune? Maybe I'm thinking that by uploading these evo tables, that the stock 1g tune would change to an Evo 8 tune and thus the Evo 8 injectors will become the new stock injectors. I could just drop them in, set them on ecmlink and done.
Is this true or false?

Thanks again. Really appreciate the info.

I have had several different remote tuners and just about all start out with a 2g tune as it is less aggressive and easier to tune the car with. When I do my own, I do the same, start with 2g settings right from the ECMlink site. If you are all stock, that will get the car running. From there, the user (you) can alter the fuel delivery and timing advance/retard and sooo much more. I enjoy playing with it myself, and I too am retuning after some fueling issues, so I am basically starting from scratch again.
Good luck, but I'll say this, hands on experience with the tuning software is the way I learn (and helpful folks on here). If things don't work the way you want you can always revert back to the previous settings as long as you save the logs. :thumb:

I have had several different remote tuners and just about all start out with a 2g tune as it is less aggressive and easier to tune the car with. When I do my own, I do the same, start with 2g settings right from the ECMlink site. If you are all stock, that will get the car running. From there, the user (you) can alter the fuel delivery and timing advance/retard and sooo much more. I enjoy playing with it myself, and I too am retuning after some fueling issues, so I am basically starting from scratch again.
Good luck, but I'll say this, hands on experience with the tuning software is the way I learn (and helpful folks on here). If things don't work the way you want you can always revert back to the previous settings as long as you save the logs. :thumb:
Thanks Marty.
Yes, that's my plan. Since I'm new to ecmlink, I want to start very slow with this and learn as I go. So I want to start with the stock tune and stock injectors and simply increase the boost while I learn and get used to monitoring the changes in air fuel, timing etc. Taking baby steps. Trying to extract as much as I possibly can. Then as time passes, I'll build the confidence and proper knowledge to dive into actual tuning. This is unavoidable. Truthfully speaking, I'll get the urge of making more power than what the stock setup can give me. If stock tune, injectors, can net me a max of mid to high 200hp, then I'll want to eventually increase that power. That is what's going to push me to tune and shake of the fear or intimidating factor that comes with everything new that we do.
Right how I do have the 1150 injectors installed, as well as Speed density set-up. I'm going to remove the 1150 injectors and switch back to the stock 450s. I could go back to the 1g stock maf or install the Evo MAF. But honestly, I would prefer to keep the SD set-up and start from stock as I already mentioned but instead of running a maf, I would like to run SD from the very beginning. With this, at least I know that my beginners boost limit will be from my injectors and not my maf. Then eventually with more knowledge, I'll switch to the 1150cc and start tuning. If I'm not able to run SD from the beginning because of my lack of knowledge on how to dial it in or if it gives me issues that are beyond my knowledge, then I'll switch to the evo MAF and see if I'm more successful in properly setting it. If not, then I will revert back to the stock 1g MAF which is 100% plug and play.
👍

You can tune those 1150s to run a stock motor. I have one that is basically stock but has 1120s in it, and for a test, I had my son go out and set it up so it would fire up.
He passed the test.
I actually JUST got finished fine tuning my fuel trims on my 92 with 2150s a few minutes ago as I switched back to Ethanol today, so I considered it "playing" :) and it was fun and gratifying.

You can tune those 1150s to run a stock motor. I have one that is basically stock but has 1120s in it, and for a test, I had my son go out and set it up so it would fire up.
That's very true Marty. But how do I do that in link? How do I tune time to run the stock tune? When I got the ECU back from ecmlink, they set it the computer/chip for the 1150 fic. Is this enough to start the car and just drive it as though I have stock 450 injectors? Or do I have to actually tune them?
Marty, I'm quite illiterate with this tuning thing. Thus why I wanted to start with the 450 stock injectors, since I don't have to tune them or set them up. Just plug and play like normal and go from there. But if I can easily get them setup and running on stock set-up/ boost, then I'm open to it. Might be easier and less of a hassle to remove them and swap back to 450 stock injectors setup.

It is compensated with a global scalar % to tell the computer to basically not leave the injectors open as long as they would normally.
Its the same thing I literally just got done doing with my car. I did a little fine tuning while I switched over to E so my afrs were in check.

It is compensated with a global scalar % to tell the computer to basically not leave the injectors open as long as they would normally.
Its the same thing I literally just got done doing with my car. I did a little fine tuning while I switched over to E so my afrs were in check.
Awesome! I'll give it a try and see what I'm able to accomplish. If not, then I'll go back to 450s untill further knowledge.
In regards to the SD. It's already setup and all.
Other than installing the hardware and telling ecmlink where the iat sensor is and the map sensor and such, do I have to do other things in order to run it properly? Or just go back to 1g maf?
Thanks again Marty.

Install the hardware and set the pin assignments and you should be good. Make sure to "capture" those so they can be displayed. It is a feature you will do in a log at sometime.

Install the hardware and set the pin assignments and you should be good. Make sure to "capture" those so they can be displayed. It is a feature you will do in a log at sometime.
This is great Marty. Thanks a lot. I'll get it set up properly and see if it works.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back