The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

420A RS cuts off while driving

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

7diamondkelly

Probationary Member
Oct 5, 2010
Jackson, Mississippi
Help please, I have a 99 RS Eclipse. I also had an aftermarker kill-switch alarm installed 4 years ago. Some mornings, before commuting to work, the car won't crank and the dash lights and radio starts. So I would re-position the wire on the battery post and voila, I'm off to work. During my lunch break, the same thing happened again. I did the same thing and drove about a block away with the a/c on. If cuts off while making a right turn. So I pulled over and checked the battery terminal. So I decided to crank it again without tampering with the terminal and the a/c off. I drove 1/2 a block while sitting at stop sign and it shuts off again. I reversed into a nearby parking lot and walked to work.
The FYI (s):
1. The mechanic replaced the timing belt yesterday.
2. I forgot to mention that the trip meter keeps rolling, even if it's reset to zero.
3. All the normal tune-ups are up-to-date.

Should I remove the alarm? Does this sound familiar?:pray:

maybe try having someone sit in the car and turn the key to accessories and you mess around with the terminals and have them see if your dashlights and stereo go off and on. If so, I would replace the terminal clamps. Might be a 5 dollar fix. If not im not sure. I have a problem in my 98 gsx where the factory alarm just goes off at random. I pulled the fuse to my alarm and it still goes off. then I pulled the fuse to my horn. Problem solved. haha.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back