The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

RS and GSX Alternator

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thomas Mason

Proven Member
Apr 29, 2017
Covington, Kentucky
Anyone happen to know if the rs and gsx alternators would be the same at all? Happen to have my old rs from a 99 I believe it was, in the basement. Gsx has a issue going on that I’m thinking is wiring related but figured it’s worth a thought. Lights pulsating inside and out. They will briefly stop... then start again. I’m assuming there is a bad ground or something somewhere.

If you are referring to the 420a engine alternator i don't think its a direct bolt on to the 4g63t engine.

I have a voltage gauge for stuff like that. If the belts wore out it could cause under charge or if the tensioner is loose. Most general parts stores can test your alternator for you in the parking lot, they do charge tests on the battery and can determine if the issue is alternator problem. I would call them before making the trip.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems to fit a voltage regulator malfunction. I believe it is integral with the alternator unit, though perhaps they can be replaced. If you have a volt meter, see what kind of range it shows while running. It should be between 13 ~14 V, and pretty steady: say not more than .3v High to low. If your battery is getting weak, then you will see the lights brighten when you rev it up, and dim back down when you idle. Any other power drains in the car? (Ridiculous stereo amp?) . Also, and this may sound too simple but you’d be surprised, check your battery terminal connections. Take them off, clean them up with one of those wire things, and put them back on nice and snug. More electrical problems stem from that than one might guess.

I actually bought the car recently, alternator was supposedly new, then I put my own battery in it new. But yeah I’ll look into it all. It’s more of a pulsating then anything. If I remember it didn’t dim when accelerating but I could be wrong.

I actually replaced the positive terminal when I bought the new battery. The negative looked new but I could be wrong.... I had found the positive cracked and breaking off. It actually felt apart when I loosened it. The negative is a little loose currently after I was working on it but not enough to even pull it off the post. As far as idle I’ll check that in morning for sure. The Hks exhaust doesn’t like the neighbors so much this late ha ha.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back