The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G RPF1 17x9 fitment

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcubed45

Proven Member
Mar 8, 2013
Honolulu, Hawaii
Hi guys,

I'm looking to purchase some 17" RPF1's for my 95 GSX and wanted to get some advice on fitment. I'd like to run wider tires and I much prefer the flat wheel face on the 9"+ wheels vs the curved 8.5" and thinner RPF1's. From what I've been reading there's a number of challenges with getting the 9" wheels to fit.

Front Brakes:
I'm pretty content with the stock GSX brakes and I'm 90% sure I won't be doing a BBK in the future. I understand the 9"+ RPF1's have clearance issues with BBK's because of the different spoke design?

Spindles:
AFAIK the suspension components on the car are all stock. From what I've read, the 2ga has slightly less clearance on the spindles which limits how big an offset and how wide a tire you can run? Is +45 offset doable or no?

Fenders:
I'm currently at stock height and plan on only a small drop at most (probably an eibach prokit). Do you absolutely need to roll the fender to run a 9" wheel or is it more dependent on the offset/tire/drop? I would prefer to not to roll the fenders if possible. I also don't want the wheels noticeably sticking out past the fenders.

Thanks!

I'm running 17×9 35 offset. 255/35/17. Willwood brakes 13 inch front and rear rotors 6 piston front and 4 piston rears,with plenty of clearance front and rear. And also using coilovers.

With the 2ga knuckles , roughly a 3mm diffrence from 2gb. So as not to poke out a 35 offset on a 17x9 wheel and a 3mm spacer. Now with a 2gb knuckle no spacer. On my brake set up , I'm using a TCE Willwood setup that retains the rear ebrake. In doing so they machine a rear rotor down to make it into a hat, that the willwood rotor will bolt to, so no change in spacing .

17x9 with a 45 offset will likely not work. I run 17x9 +35 on my 95 and while I have not measured... I can tell you it's close at +35 but no rubbing, lowered a bit with no fender rolling. No pics on this computer but there are some in my build thread. I run 245/40/17.

I run 17x9 +45 rpf1's. Before I had my camber adjusted correctly with the car lowered substantially they rubbed on the rear knuckle. Once camber and ride height were adjusted it was better but still felt close. I think I would have been ok with a 3mm spacer but I am using 5mm so essentially +40 offset and it has plenty of room. Here is a photo of the clearance in the back.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

As you can see lots of room with a 5mm spacer. This is on a 99 gsx with 235 tires.
I didn't role my front fenders but did roll the rear quarter panel lip that is on the inside.
Hope this helps. I agree the 9" rpf1's look better then the smaller sizes.

I'm running 17×9 35 offset. 255/35/17. Willwood brakes 13 inch front and rear rotors 6 piston front and 4 piston rears,with plenty of clearance front and rear. And also using coilovers.

Nice. I think other wheels have more clearance for BBK. I think I'm ok with limiting my brake options in order to run a wider RPF1 and have the flat spoke design I prefer.

I run 17x9 +45 rpf1's. Before I had my camber adjusted correctly with the car lowered substantially they rubbed on the rear knuckle. Once camber and ride height were adjusted it was better but still felt close. I think I would have been ok with a 3mm spacer but I am using 5mm so essentially +40 offset and it has plenty of room. Here is a photo of the clearance in the back.

As you can see lots of room with a 5mm spacer. This is on a 99 gsx with 235 tires.
I didn't role my front fenders but did roll the rear quarter panel lip that is on the inside.
Hope this helps. I agree the 9" rpf1's look better then the smaller sizes.

Thanks. I'd like to run at least a 245 if possible.

Do you have a pic of how the wheels sit in relation to the fender? About how much drop do you think you have?

I'm thinking about just going with +35 to be safe rather than mess with spacers.

I honestly don't know how much I dropped it I forgot to measure before I installed my coilovers. If I had to guess maybe 2" but that's a total guess.
Here's some photos of the fenders hope they help.

If I were to do it again I would go with +35 and definitely save the hassle of spacers. I would like to run a 245 tire but Im not sure it would clear and I don't want to go with a bigger space and mess with extended lugs. Save yourself the headache and get the +35.
Whatever you end up doing post up some pics of the wheel setup when you do!

As you can see in his pick. A 235/45/17. I did run a 245/40/17 which from centerline 5 mm and hieght reduced 7.5mm. And with the awd swap a 255/35 /17. Which 10mm wider from centerline 2.5 mm lower from centerline.

And here is the TCE rear willwood setup that retains the factory ebrake setup. They do make it avail without ebrake , that replaces dsm made hat with a aluminum hat like what is on the front, I went on thier site the other day and they now have a front 14 inch rotor option available now,, and im like $$&^^**%$. But oh well.

Also remember as stated by NWHtanK, the 2ga knuckles provide a little less room on the inside for clearance vs the 2gb knuckles. I can grab a few pics after I get off work today if you would like since I am a 2ga like you...

Sorry for the late reply.

I ended up ordering RPF1's in 17x9 +35 as recommended. They're wrapped in Federal SS 595 245/40/17.

They clear the rear knuckles (2ga) just barely. I like the fitment a lot overall. They're just about flush with the fenders, or poking out ever so slightly at certain angles. Once I throw 2gb sideskirts on it should be less noticeable. I'm still at stock height and only plan on doing only a minor drop in the future.

Thanks again for all the info and advice on here!

P.S. has anyone had issues with the fitment of FlatoutGraphics centercaps on these? The rears were fine but the fronts don't clear the axles. Not sure if it's specific to this wheel size (the convex faces probably have more clearance) or if it's specific to the AWD front axles. Waiting to hear back from them.

Sorry for the late reply.

I ended up ordering RPF1's in 17x9 +35 as recommended. They're wrapped in Federal SS 595 245/40/17.

They clear the rear knuckles (2ga) just barely. I like the fitment a lot overall. They're just about flush with the fenders, or poking out ever so slightly at certain angles. Once I throw 2gb sideskirts on it should be less noticeable. I'm still at stock height and only plan on doing only a minor drop in the future.

Thanks again for all the info and advice on here!

P.S. has anyone had issues with the fitment of FlatoutGraphics centercaps on these? The rears were fine but the fronts don't clear the axles. Not sure if it's specific to this wheel size (the convex faces probably have more clearance) or if it's specific to the AWD front axles. Waiting to hear back from them.

Great pic showing the clearance, thanks for sharing that. :thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back