The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Round two of repair costs

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trigger Jack

15+ Year Contributor
Jun 18, 2004
Alpharetta, Georgia
As mentioned in my last post, got a 1995 Eclipse the other day...asked about the costs for struts and TPS, and have narrowed that down to doing it myself, as much as possible.

Ended up getting a check engine light today (isn't this car just awesome? hahaha), so I figured, might as well have that checked, and the random lurching with the transmission....

The verdict? One injector is going bad. Recommend replace all: $1500 (1300 for parts).
Transmission disks are going bad, recommend replace trans: $2700.

Woot. So, just as a recap, if I get all the service done to my car that they recommend, I'm looking at $5800. Not bad seeing as I only had $750 into the car that I traded for it.

:hellyeah:

So, I'll likely be posting up in Craigslist, or in the Southeast section, asking if there's anyone who's got some parts available, or the time to help me do this stuff.....

At least the guy at the shop had the courtesy to recommend that I do most of the work myself. Kudos to him for honesty.

It was just a matter of time before someone called me out on that, haha.

Sure, the car needs love. But seeing as the last owner apparently no intentions of taking care of this thing...I'd rather see a bill, then see it go to the junkyard.

Calan, you say you doubt it was the injector...? I can't read tone of voice...is there something else you think it was, or just the fact that they were trying to take me for a fortune?

I do appreciate the overwhelming response from all of you. While I know enough about working on cars to know when not to use a mechanic....it's still daunting to get an estimate for $4300 in repairs.

The day did end well yesterday, as well. Got a 99 front and rear bumper and stock taillights to replace my chrome ones, for $20, LOL.

WOW! killer price!

OMG he is paying these prices... If you're not going to take anyones advice why are you even posting? If if bud tells you why it's not your injector you're just going to pay whatever they want. :notgood:

And honestly, I'd rather see it in a junk yard than see you get taken advantage of sooo very badly.

LOL I'll trade my good running N/T for it HAHAHA!

No shit right..Over a thousand dollars for less than an hour of work for the injectors..I can see charging 400..for new injectors and labor..But most mechanics out there can be shady and get used ones, and still charge him 400..

As far as the tranny in concerened..If its an auto, that's the easiest tranny to rebuild, and they want to charge him almost 3 grand..When the kit with all new clutches and everything probably costs a couple hundred, and what, maybe 4 hours work of work..If that..

I just love shady mechanics..I mean more power too them if they can get away with it..But it's just a moral issue with me..You cant charge 3,4,5+ times what it costs to repair even with labor..

No shit right..Over a thousand dollars for less than an hour of work for the injectors..I can see charging 400..for new injectors and labor..But most mechanics out there can be shady and get used ones, and still charge him 400..

As far as the tranny in concerened..If its an auto, that's the easiest tranny to rebuild, and they want to charge him almost 3 grand..When the kit with all new clutches and everything probably costs a couple hundred, and what, maybe 4 hours work of work..If that..

I just love shady mechanics..I mean more power too them if they can get away with it..But it's just a moral issue with me..You cant charge 3,4,5+ times what it costs to repair even with labor..

I hear ya man, but apparently we can... Who knew.

Calan, you say you doubt it was the injector...? I can't read tone of voice...is there something else you think it was, or just the fact that they were trying to take me for a fortune?

Because injectors just rarely "fail", based on what I've seen. They get dirty and clogged up, the wiring gets brittle and breaks, the factory clips come loose, injector drivers in the ECU can burn out, resistor packs go bad... but I can't honestly recall ever seeing an injector itself that simply won't fire.

I'm sure there'll be 23897192398123 people that say otherwise, but that's been my experience.

BTW - Injectors make a hell of a racket when working properly. I really hope your "mechanic" didn't hear that (or our common lifter tick) and assume one was bad. LOL

I, too, don't believe anything is terribly wrong with your injectors. What process lead them to this conclusion?
Better, yet what codes did the car throw? What were the exact symptoms that made you bring the car in in the first place?

Really, it sounds like you want to do well for your car. So do the both of you a favor and do not conduct business with this shop. We must sound like broken records, no? Going off about how it's practically a crime to pay that much etc.. but what really gets me is how undisturbed you are.

*omitted confrontational line of questioning with regards to pissing away nearly 5k*

EDIT:
Because injectors just rarely "fail", based on what I've seen. They get dirty and clogged up, the wiring gets brittle and breaks, the factory clips come loose, injector drivers in the ECU can burn out, resistor packs go bad... but I can't honestly recall ever seeing an injector itself that simply won't fire.

I'm sure there'll be 23897192398123 people that say otherwise, but that's been my experience.

Spot on. Those 23897192398123 people can't have half the experience they think they do.

Man I swear I wanna scream TROLL so badly man.

Wouldn't that be a thing.. it's almost too obvious!

Whoa, whoa, whoa, guys.

I'm NOT paying those prices. Those were just the estimates that I've gotten from the local shop.

The process that was involved in the injector "being bad" was this:

Check engine light came on.
Took to local shop.
They took it for a test drive.
After fiddling around with the car, they told me that they scanned the code and did a resistance test on it, and their verdict was one injector was going bad.
At hearing the estimate, I said no, and took my car home.

I'm not disturbed, because all I've paid so far is a diagnostic fee. If anything, you guys can jump on me for not checking the code myself and paying anything at all. I'll agree to that criticism....

But all I said was that the estimates were daunting....that's why I was thanking you guys, it was reassurance that this is stuff I can fix myself, or cheaper, or both for that matter....

So, I'm not much understanding the troll comments and the rest?

So, I'm not much understanding the troll comments and the rest?

Don't worry about it. A couple of people thought that maybe you were saying you were paying that just to stir up some silly conversation...thus the trolling comments. :)

Glad to see you had enough sense to run the other direction at those ridiculous prices. ;)

You did pay for a diagnostic check to be done wich was a waste of money..Because your local auto parts store will check the code for free...

So run away from that mechanic, like you already did..It was the right thing to do..

Autozone couldn't check it..Its an obd2 car right? Damm autozone..

1995 = Not OBDII apparently. Even with the salesperson in my car, under my steering wheel, and looking at the port. :idontknow:

So, I guess "wouldn't check it" would be the more grammatically correct statement.

Nope. My 95 is an early 95 thus being built in 94 and it has the obdII communication port.
Usually a salesman isn't a good mechanic. You already saw that firsthand.

Nope. My 95 is an early 95 thus being built in 94 and it has the obdII communication port.
Usually a salesman isn't a good mechanic. You already saw that firsthand.

This. All 95's are OBDII compliant.

OP, any word yet? What code did the ecu throw? Do you have $10 to get a cheapy multimeter to ohm out the injectors yourself?

This. All 95's are OBDII compliant.

OP, any word yet? What code did the ecu throw? Do you have $10 to get a cheapy multimeter to ohm out the injectors yourself?

Honestly, I'm doubting it was anything more than a hiccup, at this point. My CEL hasn't been on since that visit, and there's no change at all in the performance of the car.

I've got a multimeter in storage, but it'll be the weekend before I can get it out. I'll prod around on a few things, see if there actually is anything to be concerned about. Good time to check the plugs, and the rest, too.

In the interim, the condition of my transmission has changed slightly. I cut the overdrive wires, when removing my shifter (while changing my center console), and have been driving without OD. Short commute, so it's not really bothering me at all.

The good news, is that the random shifting up and down is completely gone. As well as 90% of the random jerking.

I know that doesn't mean it's fixed, but it makes for more pleasant driving.

However, when I first start the car, put it in drive....right around 2-3mph, there's a sudden lurch. If I pull up to a light, sit, then go again - no lurch. Seems to only happen after the car has been sitting for a few hours.

Thoughts?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back