The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

2G Rough idle.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joey2k21

Probationary Member
Jun 21, 2021
Greenbush, Maine
Hey everyone! I was driving one day in the rain and my car decided to quit on me. Thinking it might be my plug wires or plugs. I changed them in a parking lot. Crank no start. I ended up getting it towed home and then it sat for a few weeks as I had no motivation to fix the car. It’s coming to the point that I miss the car quite a bit. I changed the coils today and that ended up getting it to start. But with a terrible idle. Without giving it gas it won’t stay running for long. I pulled plug wires to see if they were firing and they were. At this point I’m at a loss. Any help will be very appreciated!!

Do you have a check engine light? Have you checked for boost leaks or unplugged/broken electrical connectors?
Haven’t checked for any boost leaks, I got a scanner today that I’m going to hook up when I have the time. Since this post I got it to idle fine. After giving it some gas it’ll die down. Let it sit and idle it will start idling fine. It makes me think it could be a fuel problem? Getting spark fine and seems to be getting air. All the ice in Maine with no garage makes it hard to work on without freezing.

If you don't find anything obvious with the OBDII scanner, definitely do a boost leak test (BLT). A small leak should be fixed for best performance but big leaks (or a whole bunch of small leaks) can cause serious issues like you are seeing. A big leak can often be found by visual inspection too (i.e. blown intake coupler), or carefully listening for vacuum leaks when idling.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back