The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

Rough Idle, wierd sound as accellerating...

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sillybubu

Probationary Member
Mar 26, 2004
Ottawa, Ontario_Canada
its been 2days.. i own a 2G Eclipse FWD.,,..i'm trying to figure out why my car isnt running smoothly..
The car came out of storage/shop a week ago.. now the car idles very rough..but the RPM is sitting at the right area.. 700-800rpm.. its not surging, the car does not sound right when i press on the gas, it sounds almost like a muscle car...

I tryied....
adding new fuel with a fuel system cleaner.. (Penzoil Fuel System Cleaner, Premium Pump Gas)
Changed my oil (Royal Purple)
Plugs were new from last fall (NGK IRIDUMS)
New Plug Wires (Accell Thundersport 3000+)

I did remove my boost gauge and it has not been replaced yet.. could that be the problem? does missing boost gauge = boost leak? = car running bad??

HELLLPP!!

you said that you had it in storage/shop, how long? was it there for a reason, say installation of a BOV? what type of BOV is it exactly? does it recirculate or vent to the atmosphere? Is your car's CEL on? Possibly an O2 sensor. is it an aftermarket boost gauge?

sillybubu said:
its been 2days.. i own a 2G Eclipse FWD.,,..i'm trying to figure out why my car isnt running smoothly..
The car came out of storage/shop a week ago.. now the car idles very rough..but the RPM is sitting at the right area.. 700-800rpm.. its not surging, the car does not sound right when i press on the gas, it sounds almost like a muscle car...

I tryied....
adding new fuel with a fuel system cleaner.. (Penzoil Fuel System Cleaner, Premium Pump Gas)
Changed my oil (Royal Purple)
Plugs were new from last fall (NGK IRIDUMS)
New Plug Wires (Accell Thundersport 3000+)

I did remove my boost gauge and it has not been replaced yet.. could that be the problem? does missing boost gauge = boost leak? = car running bad??

HELLLPP!!
Yes if you did not plug the boost guage source it will give your car fits.

You might want to check your timing. Tell us what it was in the shop for, and maybe we can help you diagnose the problem. Plug up the line for the boost gauge. That's a start.

Yes. make sure you have no boost leaks, so fixing the boost guage is a priority. Also, remember body shops have alot of dust, maybe something got sucked into you intake :( hope it didn't. but you never know. I would say that if you CEL were on, it could possibly be the O2 sensor. they will make a car run pretty crappy, I can tell you that from experience.

Make sure your MAF is plugged in.
Make sure your plugs are gapped correctly.
Do a boost leak test (after you plug the gauge source off)

Your problem will more than likely be fixed after ^^^ if not post back. But please, follow ALL of the above before posting back.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back