The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Rotate engine with new pump?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sam's GSX

5+ Year Contributor
Jun 10, 2018
Hohenwald, Tennessee
Quick question, I've got the engine together with a new oil pump and it is packed with grease, I have installed the timing belt and am trying to get the tension right, but I wasn't sure if I should rotate the crank with the pump being primed, and no oil in the engine.
Any help is appreciated. Thank you

There should always be sufficient oil on the crank and rods journals for lubrication at all times. If it is a freshly built bottom end n, the assembler should have used plenty of assembly lube. If it was never opened up to begin with, the existing oil will suffice

With oil in the engine right?

Only reason I ask is that I have the turbo of the car, to make it easier to lower into the engine bay. But if that is what I should do, I can install the turbo and put oil in if need be

Be careful packing the oil pump with grease. If it is to thick it wont pump. I had an Oreillys Saturn motor that was built like that. NO OIL PRESSURE. Preferably, assemble it with a generous amount of assembly lube. If the rest of the engine has assembly lube on it, crank it over with the starter, in 5 second bursts, until oil pressure is present. Works for me since I know everything has assembly lube on it.
Up to you if you want to wash the assembly lube out with oil. I personally do not on any of my engines. You will be fine either way.
Marty

Hmmm, if it wasn't all together and sealed, I would probably do it your way (as far as switching the grease with assembly lube)
And I'll think about doing it by cranking with the starter, that's how I did it last time.
Although that pump was used and not opened at any point.
This is a new ACL pump, so I am worried about it, but I just couldn't afford a new OEM pump

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back