The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Rix Racing

roll cage main hoop angle

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teejayDSM

15+ Year Contributor
Oct 2, 2007
excelsior, Missouri
My NHRA '11 rulebook got wet and ruined and now that I'm putting in my roll cage I need to know how it's supposed to be in the car. My main concern is that the main hoop is too close to the back of the seat at the top. I am only 6ft tall, but I have to lay the seat down a bit and have it back to practically where the back seat would be. Even when the car was stock I couldn't slide a bottle of antifreeze between the seats. I now have no back seat and aftermarket front seats. What I'm thinking is either tilt the main hoop back at the top, or to put the bar back where the bottom comes down and sits where the back seats were. I'm not sure if either is legal, or if there is an alternative I'm not seeing. Thanks.

4.10 ROLL BARS All roll bars must be within 6-inches (15.2 cm) of the rear, or side, of the driver's head, extend in height at least 3-inches (7.6 cm) above the driver's helmet with driver in normal driving position, and be at least as wide as the driver's shoulders or within 1-inch (2.5 cm) of the driver's door. Roll bar must be adequately supported or cross-braced to prevent forward or lateral collapse of roll bar. Rear braces must be of the same diameter and wall thickness as the roll bar and intersect with the roll bar at a point not more than 5-inches (12.7 cm) from the top of the roll bar. Sidebar must be included on driver's side. The side bar must pass the driver at a point midway between the shoulder and elbow. All vehicles with OEM frame must have roll bar attached to frame; installation of frame connectors on unibody cars does not constitute a frame and therefore it is not necessary to have the roll bar attached to the frame. Unibody cars with stock floor and firewall (wheel tubs permitted) may attach roll bar with 6-inch (15.2 cm) x 6-inch (15.2 cm) x .125-inch (3.2 mm) steel plates on top and bottom of floor bolted together with at least four 3/8-inch (9.53 mm) bolts and nuts, or weld main hoop to rocker sill area with .125-inch (3.2 mm) reinforcing plates. All 4130 chrome moly welding must be done by approved TIG Heliarc process; mild steel (or ST51) welding must be approved MIG wire feed or approved TIG heliarc process. Welding must be free of slag and porosity. Any grinding of welds prohibited. See illustration (Drawing 12).

Roll bar must be padded anywhere driver's helmet may contact it while in driving position. Adequate padding must have minimum 1/4-inch (6.35 mm) compression or meet SFI Spec 45.1.

4.11 ROLL CAGE All cage structures must be designed in an attempt to protect the driver from any angle, 360-degrees. All 4130 chrome-moly tube welding must be done by approved TIG heliarc process; mild steel tube welding must be approved MIG wire feed or TIG heliarc process. Welding must be free of slag and porosity. any grinding of welds prohibited. Additionally, roll cage must be padded any where the driver's helmet may contact it while in the driving position.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was in the same boat as you. 6'2" and 240 lbs, so my seat sits way back. We ended up attaching the main hoop to the backseat steel. It's actually a thick, strong point, so no rigidy is lost by doing so. This is far better that angling the main hoop way back.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did that pass to get an nhra cert? I'm in the same boat and want to be sure thats an alright spot to mount the hoop cause ido t think it's actually on the unibody on the 2g? You tell me, if you got it certified I'll do it!

Also, when doing the base plate, are you really using a plate on the top and bottom like the book says? Or aince were unibody does one top plate to the thick steel work.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/dsm-build-journals/428922-8-sec-1gb-auto-awd-panda-build-6.html

Both of my car done the same way and pass tech.

Did that pass to get an nhra cert? I'm in the same boat and want to be sure thats an alright spot to mount the hoop cause ido t think it's actually on the unibody on the 2g? You tell me, if you got it certified I'll do it!

Also, when doing the base plate, are you really using a plate on the top and bottom like the book says? Or aince were unibody does one top plate to the thick steel work.
Top Plate Only. 6x6

I bought a kit from Rhodes race cars never again it was way off ended up then send me 2 Kits finally got right I’m doing same thing to my cage

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back