The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Rods That Can Handle 700 Crank Horsepower

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CPHunter

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 3, 2004
Winnetka, California
I have an Issue. I have the Money to buy some rods but don't know where to pull the trigger. I have so Many options of rods to pick from. there so many on the market. i just don't know whats good for me. I'm not looking to set world records. it would be nice, but not something im looking to do.

I'm looking at the Following rods

Scat H beam Rods
Eagle H beams
Brian Crower bRods
Manley H beams

any advice on knowing if these boys can handle my needs. My turbo is a Borg Warner S362 and some nitrous. I just don't want to jump on a Dyno and Blow the Motor because my rods wheren't made to handle the power. Thanks

Manley I beam "turbo tuff" rods should handle it. Although probably pushing their advertised ratings, some of the h-beams you have listed may do it too

I made pretty close to 700 crank whp on eagle rods. I since then sold that engine and built a new one, which made some more power. I now use manley and I havent had any problems.

thanks guys. I'm gonna call somebody tomorrow to ask about rods.

I would recomend eather scats H or H manley rods. If you want to spend the cash the manley turbo tuff rods or Corrillo makes a real nice rod as well.

Forget heavy steel rods, engines that are designed for high horsepower racing use aluminum rods. Most rods are engineered to withstand as much horsepower as the best brand name steel rods. And yes you can drive these on the street, they will last a long time.

I prefer Groden, you can buy a set from FFWD Connection.

But if the engine is designed to be a stroker the bottom of the cylinder will have to be notched as well as the main cap's suitcase handles for the thicker aluminum rod.

Forget heavy steel rods, engines that are designed for high horsepower racing use aluminum rods. Most rods are engineered to withstand as much horsepower as the best brand name steel rods. And yes you can drive these on the street, they will last a long time.

I prefer Groden, you can buy a set from FFWD Connection.

But if the engine is designed to be a stroker the bottom of the cylinder will have to be notched as well as the main cap's suitcase handles for the thicker aluminum rod.

I am going to use those aluminum rods in my next motor. Your right steel rods beat the piss out of the rod bearings no mater what your HP level.

I'll add do the people voting for Manley I-beams. Great rods, I went with them for my 6-bolt build. Also, Buschur has had great success with these in their motors FWIW.

I am going to use those aluminum rods in my next motor. Your right steel rods beat the piss out of the rod bearings no mater what your HP level.

They cost in the same ballpark as most brand name I-beam rods and are just as strong, much lighter, and help take stress off of the bearings. For me aluminum rods are a no brainer, but most guys think "Hey these are made out of recycled Coke cans, they will bend in half" or that they will stretch and the rod cap bolts will come loose. This is not true, the fastest engines in the world use aluminum connecting rods.

^^^To go along with that, good ol' eagle hbeams, the staple of the built 4g6* community, have done fine for years:

1) They are lighter than stock 6bolt rods (6bolt rods are good to 600whp in quite a few cases; no one complains about bearings).

2) They are very well machined. I've not had a problem with any of them not being in spec straight from the factory.

3) Bargain basement cheap for new rods.

3) Can and have gone to 900+ whp. Should be plenty of cushion for the goal of 700whp

I would run the eagle h beam. It's my last step before goin aluminum. Ive had my eagle rods for three yrs now and this past year they have held up to 135-140 trap speeds in a 2900 lb car. I'm sure that at or past you hp goals.

i run eagles, seem fine but ive never gotten the motor anywhere near 700 hp

Guys your not even reading his post. The guy was asking about budget rods, and you guys are telling him to use 700-800 dollar rods because that is what the fastest 4g63's use.

To the point, any H beam rod will work fine. Eagle or Manley would be my choice.

Buying I beams for 700 crank is way overkill. Save you money.

Also take this as a grain of salt eagle rods are rated at 600 hp, they also underrate all of there h beam rods. These have made upwards of 900 hp. Consistant high rpms are what will kill them. The crank hp you are lookin for is roughly 600 at the wheels. Most entry level upgraded rods will take care of your goals.

I have an Issue. I have the Money to buy some rods but don't know where to pull the trigger. I have so Many options of rods to pick from. there so many on the market. i just don't know whats good for me. I'm not looking to set world records. it would be nice, but not something im looking to do.

I'm looking at the Following rods

Scat H beam Rods
Eagle H beams
Brian Crower bRods
Manley H beams

any advice on knowing if these boys can handle my needs. My turbo is a Borg Warner S362 and some nitrous. I just don't want to jump on a Dyno and Blow the Motor because my rods wheren't made to handle the

Guys your not even reading his post. The guy was asking about budget rods, and you guys are telling him to use 700-800 dollar rods because that is what the fastest 4g63's use.

To the point, any H beam rod will work fine. Eagle or Manley would be my choice.

Buying I beams for 700 crank is way overkill. Save you money.

Hostile ^^^^^^^

You are the one who is not reading his post! No where in his post, does it say "im looking for budget rods"???? or "this is a budget build".. it states which i have underlined that he is looking for rods that can handle the horsepower he has in mind aka "700" crank hp and still have a lil wiggle room for safety..

my vote is still for the MAP billet Rods. i have them and yes there on the pricey side, but i know the result of these rods, and what kind of abuse they can handle.. in the end its up to you glwe

He asked about 4 sets of H beam rods. I have a built a few motors and I can tell you H beam rods save you a ton of money, they are almost half price.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back