The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

420A Rod Bearings

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Inkdlyfe

Proven Member
Feb 23, 2016
Summer feild, Florida
So I'm working on a lower rebuild rods pump etc I got a brand new oil pump already. I wanna run something other then standard bearings. Not exactly over size or under size. More along the lines of a different compound bearing. I was told kings is a good brand to go with ? And to add to this post real quick. What is a good oil gauge / sensor to go with been running cheap ebay ones look nice and work for the most part. But I want something more name brand . I was told not to go with Aem..

What is your goal with the car? Why do you think you need a different compound?

King Bearings are ok but clevite, acl, or sealed power are better, or federal mogul if you can find them

Your options are
-Factory Style Aluminum bearing which are great for long life and debris easily embeds in them rather than scoring the crank
-Something like Clevites Tri-Metal series is a midrange bearing which will embed some debris but they are harder so they wear the crank faster
-Race Bearings are extremely hard to the point that they will not embed any debris and unless the engine is run extremely clean they put a lot of wear on a crank. Even if run clean they will wear a crank much faster than aluminum bearings will since they are not much softer than the crank itself.

So from the sounds of it I should keep the sealed power bearings ? That's what I been using for a good while now. The machine shop said I should use a different compound bearing its my daily car (that I never even drive due to having a bike) but I'm pushing 18 psi of boost currently. So should I just stick with this brand? What about oil sensor?

What bearings are you currently using and why are they saying the recommend a different compound?

I'm not a gauge expert by any means. I run summit racing gauges and have never had any issues. Autometer is probably one of the better brands but I don't know what would be wrong with AEM. But I don't have any personal experience with their products

Maybe the shop is trying to say that the aluminum bearings will wear out faster so they are suggesting a harder bearing for longevity.
I use Clevite 77/Sealed Power on my domestic builds and ACL Race (not aluminum) on my 4g63's for reference (but LOTS of boost).
Cranks are harder than the bearings and I bet the shop wants them to last as long as possible for you if it is a daily driver. It's a good shop if that happens to be the case.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back