The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

1G Rocker and lifter wear

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Red Rider

10+ Year Contributor
Aug 12, 2009
NW, Connecticut
I'll be re-assembling the cams shortly onto the rebuilt head, and I am wondering what I should look for on the lifters and rockers. The lifters were replaced 20,000 miles ago, I have no record of the rockers being replaced. (155k on the car). Last I remember the engine was running quiet.... well until it got very quiet when the belt snapped. New valves obviously. Not doing a high HP build anytime in the future. 300 tops.

Thanks.

We don't have lifters, we have lash adjusters. :)

Look at the tips of the adjusters and the rockers for wear.
Make sure the bearings in the rockers are smooth and quiet.
Clean the adjusters with diesel fuel and make sure you can compress them, checking to make sure they are not stuck. The diesel fuel will bleed off under normal valve pressure so it's also a good way to prime them for startup so they are lubed but not pumped up.

We don't have lifters, we have lash adjusters. :)

Look at the tips of the adjusters and the rockers for wear.
Make sure the bearings in the rockers are smooth and quiet.
Clean the adjusters with diesel fuel and make sure you can compress them, checking to make sure they are not stuck.
So it appears I have 2 different types of lash adjusters. (Even though all 16 were replaced with new) One I have 4 of, they are shorter with larger holes in the tip, and seem to have a press fit cap. The longer ones have the smaller tip hole, and have a crimp looking cap.

Are both of these styles acceptable for fit?

What do I compress them with, channel locks? A vise? Don't want to damage them obviously.

I don't see any wear at all on either the flat base surface or the rounded tip that presses on the rollers.

About 13 the tip turns freely, 3 of them the tip turns, but freely only 30 degrees of arc or so. Since they run at what, 60 psi or so, what they do by hand may not matter?

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

The adjuster on the left with the small hole is a 1g adjuster. The one on the right is the 3rd revision. Those are preferred, since the oiling passages inside are larger, therefore less prone to clogging.

You CAN compress them in a vise, but if you do so, it must be done SLOWLY, otherwise you will damage the adjuster. The other way is to stick a paper clip or similar diameter rod down the top of the oiling hole, until you push down on the check valve. This will allow you to pump fluid through the adjuster, cleaning it.

This video shows you EVERYTHING you need to know about identifying and cleaning the lash adjuster.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back