The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

rocker and lifter surface rust

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimF

10+ Year Contributor
Mar 14, 2011
Aurora, Illinois
I bought a head a couple months back and all the valve train was seperated in platic bags. Well today I realized a few rockers and lifters have light surface rust. The rockers still roll freely and most of the lifters are fine. I was wondering what can I soak them in. To clean, eliminate rust, and if I need to replace there are some gs-t in the junkyard would there valve train work fine if I need to take it?

I forgot to put in, the rust is not on the roller its self, its on the piece that the roller is enclosed in.

Get a gallon of diesel fuel, dump the followers in it, use some geen/fine schotbrite and work the rust off.
rinse off in clean diesel fule

You have to more carefull with the HLAs, if you get get in either of oil holes, that can be an issue.
Make sure you rinse well, and bleed the hlas with clean diesel.

So dump the rockers and lifters in diesel but don't fully submerge the lifters

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back