The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

RockAuto: "We cannot ship to this address"

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwb

Proven Member
Sep 9, 2021
Broomfield, Colorado
I used to order from RockAuto all the time for most my maintenance parts. A couple years ago something changed with how they calculate tax and now all I get is this message when I place an order:
"We cannot ship to this address because it is in a "home rule" city that does not participate in Colorado's Sales & Use Tax System (SUTS). Shipping to this address would require us to file a sales tax return directly with the city. We will ship to this address only after the city joins SUTS."

I've avoided RockAuto for the last couple years and ordered from places like ExtremePSI, Summit Racing, and some of the big chains. I hoped RockAuto would get their act together and I'd eventually have success. That doesn't seem to be the case. I know RockAuto is a supported vendor on here, so my hope is this will get some attention and maybe (fingers crossed) something will change.

Has anyone else experienced a similar issue with RA? Any ideas how to get this resolved? I'm not a fan of shipping parts to work or a friends place.

You can blame government regulation for that.

Only issue I've ever had with Rock auto is they can't ship me the cheap and good brake clean because it's not legal for sale here in Michigan, hah.

Here I thought it was just my local municipality, not the entire state of Colorado. Their loss I guess.

Tax nexus law. It makes it extremely challenging for online retailers who do any decent amount of business in various states. Many states want to get their share in sales tax and the law changed a couple years ago allowing them to collect in certain cases. Some online retailers chose to exclude certain states from their ship-to locations, like in this case. Sucks for people living in those states. Doubt RockAuto will change their stance but who knows. Feedback is always good.

@dwb @ErikTande
The sales to Colorado is hit and miss and depends on where you ship to supposedly. I'm in Adams County and back in 2019 their system wouldn't ship to me. I placed an order for some steering parts a month ago and they did ship to me. So if they didn't before, give it another shot now.

I wrote to Rockauto in 2019 and they said the South Dakota v. Wayfair case is what spurred the changes. Like the other guys said above, it's something to do with some states and cities wanting to collect sales tax from online transactions. I guess it's too complicated for Rockauto to figure out every little sales tax for every little municipality. Just comes down to Big Brother wanting their share.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back