The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

Rock hard clutch pedal

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2g spyder eclipse

Proven Member
Apr 30, 2013
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Ok well I just installed a new clutch. I got it all back together only to start it and notice the clutch had like 2" of play then it becomes rock solid. I literally couldn't even push it to the floor. I go to put it into first and with the clutch fully pressed it wouldn't go into gear. I back off the pedal a inch and wham it popped into first.. What gives? Why is it so weird? Ik it should not be like this.

Prob need to adjust the clutch pedal rod that goes into the master cylinder since a new clutch has been put in.

The rod has a bleeder valve on it to allow fluid to flow between master and slave cylinder to allow auto adjusting. Usually, when a new clutch has been put in, it throws off this alignment between pedal and master cylinder since the clutch pads are now thicker and the TOB fork is now in a different position.

Loosen the locknut on the rod and turn the rod counter clockwise one turn, push in on the pedal and if still hard, rotate the shaft again one turn until the pedal can be pressed in all the way.

Then, tighten down the locknut and you should be good to go.

-DSM

Sounds like a pressure plate issue . Mines was the same way it only engaged on the center of the fly clutch

You are going to need to adjust the pedal every time you replace a clutch that is just a given. You should have about 1/2"-1" of free play in the pedal before if starts to disengage the clutch. Once this is set, if you are still having problems you are going to be looking at a mechanical problem. Usually related to the pressure plate. Sometimes broken springs can give this feeling but most of the time it is a misaligned TOB or clutch fork problem caused during installation. Were there any problems when mounting the transmission back up?

The tranny bolted right up like butter. I am like positive I installed the fork and the TOB right. I will bleed the clutch today and see if it makes a difference.

This will show you how to make sure your pedal is aligned properly.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYJxQyjIhUw]Proper Clutch Adjustment - YouTube[/ame]

I did watch that and I did adjust my push rod accordingly. when I was changing the clutch the slave cylinder rod pushed out, did this alow air into the system?

did you replace your fulcrum ball and fork? or at least shim the ball?

I did watch that and I did adjust my push rod accordingly. when I was changing the clutch the slave cylinder rod pushed out, did this alow air into the system?

If you even think there is a possibility of air in the hydraulic system, just bleed it. It's too easy not to NIKE ... JUST DO IT!

If you have a buddy handy, (or do it alone, whatever works.) pull the clutch cyl off, keep it connected to the clutch line, and have him (or you) push the pedal SLOWLY to see if the pedal moves. if it remains rock solid, the problem is pre clutch, if the rod moves, the problem is clutch related.

If you know what end of the world you're playing on, at the very least you can spend more useful time dropping the transmission and looking for something rather than scratching your head.

edit:

You've bled it, so at the very least, you have narrowed it down to a possible stuck slave cyl. 95% positive to find the problem is going to require the transmission to at least be pulled back from the block for inspection.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back