The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

RoadSurge 1G budget Build

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EagleTalonTim

15+ Year Contributor
Jan 10, 2007
Brighton, Tennessee
Well, it has begun! I am going through my car and stripping stuff out, shortening wires, and rebuilding the engine. Everything I am working on is going to be done as cheap as possible since I am relying only on shift box sales to pay for parts. Buy you one at http://www.RoadSurge.com

Current Mod list before build started :

Stock 93 Automatic AWD Eagle Talon Chassis with stock suspension.

Fuel :
- Rewired Walbro 255 Fuel pump
- Aeromotive 1:1 AFPR
- -6 AN fuel lines under the hood, all the rest is stock
- Evo 560cc injectors

Engine :
- 6 Bolt block with 6 Bolt head

Head
- Stage 2 Comp Cams
- Supertech Valves and Springs with Titanium Retainers
- ARP Head Studs

Block
- Stock Crank
- Manley 8.5 Forged Pistons
- Manley H-Beam Rods
- New OEM Front case
- Clevite bearings (Replacing these in this build but still going with Clevite)
- Felpro Head Gasket (Will try to switch to MLS if budget allows)

Electrical :
- ECMLink V3 Lite
- Speed Density

Turbo :
- Forced Performance 68HTA

Intake :
- Cyclone Intake (Will be converting to something else)
- Ebay 2.5" FMIC
- Cool Mist Water/Meth injection (1 nozzle currently)

Transmission :
- 93 AWD Automatic
- IPT 500 HP clutch packs
- IPT Shift Kit
- RoadSurge V3 "Simple" Shift Box

Here is the car 7 years ago.

white_talon.JPG

Here is the current condition of my car (Getting ready to paint under the hood) :
10390551_10201948393621493_5578023532615197026_n.jpg

As I move on with this build, I will post with updates!

If anyone has any recommendations or think I am doing something wrong, please let me know!

Finally got my engine parts back from the machine shop and will be doing a mild port / polish job on the head before they reseat my valves. Ebay has become my friend on this build :p Got 100 sanding drums for around $10 shipped! Got a few other things too and they have saved my wallet for sure! Guess it is time for me to seclude myself and begin the long task of grinding and polishing! I will posts pics as soon as I get it done!

Update! Just got done porting and polishing the second head....yes, the second :( I jumped right in and ported and polished the first head and found that the head was warped and way out of factory spec as far as head height. The other head is close enough to factory spec the adjustable cam gears will get me dialed back in. The second head was put on the shelf due to cracked exhaust valves. Thanks to STM, I now have new intake and exhaust Supertech valve guides! They will be installed soon along with getting the Supertech valves reseated in the new head. Making progress but a long ways away!

Here are a few pics of the head :
Exhaust port :
IMG_20140803_141657_581.jpg

Cylinder area :
IMG_20140803_141412_233.jpg

And some home made solid lifters for dialing in the cam gears :
IMG_20140803_172753_779.jpg

I have also just finished rebuilding the power steering rack and converted it to manual steering. Got some plugs to close up all the ports to prevent water from getting into the rack. I converted the rack the proper way!
IMG_20140725_121333_535.jpg

That's all the updates as of right now! As soon as I can afford a gasket set, I will get the motor back together. Got to get valve guide seals before I get the head back to the machine shop to replace the valve guides.

Looking good man I think Im in need of a rack rebuild soon

how do you convert the rack to non power?

You have to take the rack completely apart and cut off the piston on the shaft. Once you begin assembling it, put good grease on the gear and shaft to help keep it well lubricated. You also need to plug off the holes that power steering fluid went in or out of. I bought fittings from work that threaded into the ports. A little extra, but it was better than me trying to weld up all the holes.

Thank you for the info...

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back