The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Road racing clutch

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mini zilo

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 17, 2006
Chicago, Illinois
Alright, well I am in the process of swapping my automatic over to a 5spd, because I want to switch my cars focus to road racing. I just was wondering what opinions you all have a clutch for my car.

The setup is pretty basic, evo 3 16g @ 20-25 lbs, supra sidemount, fuel mods, dsmlink, yada yada. Anyways, I was thinking about doing a 2600 with a street disk, but I am also a little worried about my 128k 7 bolt motor crankwalking. It has been auto all its life, but I dunno. So I was thinking about doing a 2100 with a 6 puck. Is a pucked clutch a bad idea for road racing?

Thanks -- Joe

I run the 2600 with the 6 puck setup. Before that I ran the 2600 with the street disk. The puck setup is a little more "grabby" upon release, but not enough to cause issues for a track car. I personally like that setup. If you drive alot on the street you might want to keep with the street disk to make it a little more driver friendly in traffic however.

I'm running a Fidanza flywheel with this 6 puck: HorsepowerFreaks Feramic Eclipse Clutch Kits with a 2100 pressure plate. It wasn't that expensive when I bought it (2 years ago) but the point is, it works very well on the track (road course, not drag) and it is quite driveable on the street. It would get annoying in a traffic jam, but I avoid that with this car.

I vote yes on the puck disc. :thumb:

I have run a sbr3500 for over two years. Done only about 6 track weekends, but tons of autocross and it held up great. Pulled it out after I destroyed number 1 and 4 bearings and I will actually be throwing it back in. Looks insanely good for all the abuse its been through.

i also have the sbr 3500 great clutch havent been to the track yet but have giving a it a few launches and it is very grabby i was also worried about the c-walk which is why i did not also go with a 2600. good luck hop it helps

I autocross my fwd Laser and I use an XTD Stage 2 clutch. It's been great for the past 3k miles, numerous burnouts, 2nd gear double clutches, etc. It's great as long as you don't get crazy with power.

If you can afford it a twin disc setup will allow for significantly faster shifting and they have great driveability.

I currently have 2600 with street disc. It grabs really good but it's hard to shift fast.

I'm running a act 2600 PP with a spec 6 puck disk.

But I don't recommend it as TRE recommended going with the lightest disk possible. Apparantly the 4 puck is lighter than a full face, which is typically lighter than a 6 puck. TRE said that the lighter the disk, the easier it is for the synchros to do their job.

I'll probably be picking up a 4 puck though at some point. They're even more grippy as you have the same force on less area, so I could probably step down to a weaker pressure plate as well.

SPEC 3+ kit with 6 puck sprung disk and ACT Xact flywheel. I plan on going with a Fidanza or another aluminum flywheel next though so I can just replace the friction surface in the future. I really like this clutch. A bit lighter on the leg than the 2600 and pretty grabby.

Fidenza Flywheel, ACT 2600 Street Disc here, held up great at all the tracks I went to. Also have TRE Custom Tranny. The setup works fine, but like they said, if you can get a lighter disc, go for it.

You may have notice by all the replys, everyone is using a different clutch
i went with the Fidanza 3.2 4puck, Because it is very streetable but holds like hell at the track.
You have to buy a clutch that works for your driving needs.
i am not that hard on my clutch on day to day driving
but i should tell you with clutchs you get what you pay for. do not go cheap on a clutch.

here are some of the good brands to look for

-Exedy
-ACT
-Fidanza

If you can afford it go with Exedy, It will last you forever

I run the RRE no-name pressure plate and an Ironman (Comp Clutch) sprung 6 puck disk with an ACT flywheel (step at 0.611"). Over 100 launches, 12 autocrosses and 4 track days on this setup. On a stock tranny. Not too abrupt, but grabby enough for whatever events I've entered.

I Just got a built tranny from Shep., at which time I will install a new clutch disk as follows:
If I have a daily driver car that I can trust - another sprung 6 puck.
If I do not have a good reliable daily driver - street disk for sure.

Hope that helps.

Need to replace the clutch on my 2G, and would love some 2020 recommendations since it seems like most of the info is from the last decade...ROFL Putting down around 300 whp/wtq on RRE's Dynapack and used for time attack/road course plus the drive to/back from the tracks.

Have heard that the new ACTs are really good, and also good things about Southbend Clutch (either disc and PP or disc + 2600 PP). Any input would be appreciated!

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back