The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Road Race Talon Tsi AWD Build

Please Support Rix Racing

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Update 4/17:

Car got back home last week and I tried to make quick work on some things to get it put back together.
IMG_0860.jpeg IMG_0861.jpeg IMG_0864.jpeg

First step was painting the cage. I just used Rustoleum oil-based enamel in smoke gray. It was a challenge to lay down but after some finesse and experimenting with different brushes, it turned out quite well.

IMG_4604.jpeg IMG_4605.jpeg

I then took the car out for a quick spin around the neighborhood and ran into an old gremlin that I would have thought was solved with the engine rebuild and all the parts replacement.
After ~10 mins of slow driving (1/2/3 gear, <30mph, no boost) I received a P0300 code and the idle began surging around 1000-1300rpm. Car also stuttered while in gear and even shut off when I came to a stop one time.

I have checked for boost leaks and found a very small one around the throttle body gasket, which I corrected.
TPS and ISC motors tested fine.
MAF and MAP sensors tested fine.
Front O2 sensor is not cycling, so car never enters closed loop.

(I will post a log once I get back onto my other laptop with ECMLink)

I know I have a few things to check yet, but this is what I found when checking the logs:
ISC Position never drops below ~35, which is strange to me.
STFT stays constant at 5.1%
Front O2 stays constants at 0.2v
Wideband is incorrectly input on ECMLink --> I will change this to simulate Front O2 and the recheck with a log
MAP sensor does also appear incorrectly input on ECMLink --> will update as above

I have to get the car running to a reasonable degree by next Tuesday, as I will be taking it to get dyno tuned.
If anyone has any advise on how to go about solving this issue, please share.
(I have done much research and found a lot of good advise already. Although, the driving behavior and my car's particular circumstances may provide a unique solution)

Update 4/17:

Car got back home last week and I tried to make quick work on some things to get it put back together.
View attachment 728941 View attachment 728942 View attachment 728943

First step was painting the cage. I just used Rustoleum oil-based enamel in smoke gray. It was a challenge to lay down but after some finesse and experimenting with different brushes, it turned out quite well.

View attachment 728944 View attachment 728945

I then took the car out for a quick spin around the neighborhood and ran into an old gremlin that I would have thought was solved with the engine rebuild and all the parts replacement.
After ~10 mins of slow driving (1/2/3 gear, <30mph, no boost) I received a P0300 code and the idle began surging around 1000-1300rpm. Car also stuttered while in gear and even shut off when I came to a stop one time.

I have checked for boost leaks and found a very small one around the throttle body gasket, which I corrected.
TPS and ISC motors tested fine.
MAF and MAP sensors tested fine.
Front O2 sensor is not cycling, so car never enters closed loop.

(I will post a log once I get back onto my other laptop with ECMLink)

I know I have a few things to check yet, but this is what I found when checking the logs:
ISC Position never drops below ~35, which is strange to me.
STFT stays constant at 5.1%
Front O2 stays constants at 0.2v
Wideband is incorrectly input on ECMLink --> I will change this to simulate Front O2 and the recheck with a log
MAP sensor does also appear incorrectly input on ECMLink --> will update as above

I have to get the car running to a reasonable degree by next Tuesday, as I will be taking it to get dyno tuned.
If anyone has any advise on how to go about solving this issue, please share.
(I have done much research and found a lot of good advise already. Although, the driving behavior and my car's particular circumstances may provide a unique solution)
Talk to Ken at black sheep tuning. He’ll get you set up.

Posting this log for historical bookkeeping.
If anyone has any advice, this would be helpful.

P0300 code came on at 723s into the log.
For me, there does not appear to be any kind of trigger, so I am struggling to diagnose the cause.

Attachments

Update 4/25

Short update but got all of the above tuning issues resolved over the last weekend.
- Found a bad AEM wideband gauge/sensor which was causing most of the rough running (there are no other O2 sensors in the car)
- Replaced the MAP sensor since we were suspicious of it's actual readings
- Updated the fuel injector deadtimes to data that was found in these forums - this resolved the P0300 code that was persistent previously

With the car idling perfectly, I took it to the tuning shop where it is currently sitting.
My expectation is to get the car back in ~1 week so that final preparation for the first test day on May 18-19 can begin!

Update 6/2

Well pretty much the whole month of May was a mountain of stress and slight disappointment.

Tuner found a multiple of issues, many of them were my fault because of my rushing to get it there. A small oil leak, air in the cooling system, a torn CV boot - all things I paid to have replaced but just as easily could have done myself if I had given myself more time.

Anyway, the tuning went….poorly. The small 16G made a good deal of power, but we could not manage to get boost creep under control. Couldn’t go any lower than 18psi and it was making well over 300whp at that level.

So, we decided to get it back home and deal with it there.
Long story short, no amount of porting I did to the turbine housing or O2 housing made much difference. 16G was just overpowering it.

As it sits, I’ve got a 14B on it now with the same ported housings. If boost creep can’t be controlled, then hopefully the 14B will flow just the right amount of air to meet my class requirements.

Going to try my hand at some steer tubing with the help of a few friends who have good knowledge on this stuff. Just to get it in a state I can bring back to the tuner with some confidence I can make the final power numbers I need.

Mid-Ohio race at the end of June is cancelled, so I will shoot to debut the car at Autobahn Country Club in September, hopefully with some testing under my belt!

On the bright side, it did make the company car show we put on before Memorial Day and it certainly fit in well!

IMG_4729.jpeg

IMG_4732.jpeg

Update 6/23:

Well two track days have come and passed, and I have still not made it to any of them.
Small issues keep popping up, so I will keep squashing them until there are no more.

1. Alternator was replaced with a reman unit
  2. Boost creep was not under complete control so I replaced the turbo with a 14B. If the creep can't be controlled completely, then I expect to make less power overall with the 14B. I ended up taking the turbo on/off about 4 times in one weekend to come to this conclusion.
  3. Boost leak check, boost leak check, book leak check. So many boost leak checks.
  4. Car is at the point at it is not leaking any fluid and idling pretty well. Thanks to @Stapl3 for recommending latency values for my FIC 1050s.
  5. Adding some heat management - wrapped the downpipe and added the TTP Manifold blanket. It's pretty crazy, after a solid drive I can physically touch the turbo blanket by hand. Cool stuff.
  6. In the middle of some basic idle/cruise tuning, I noticed my battery level was down, ~11.8-12.0V. Weird, I just replaced the alternator. Followed the whole service manual procedure for all of the wiring, ECU control, etc. The new alternator is crap, need to replace it again.
  7. Alternator took a crap on 6/20; had a track day lined up for 6/22. Not gonna make that, BUT my long awaited suspension from Redshift Motorsports arrived, so why not throw that on!
    • I have not seen anyone using Redshift on these forums, but they are pretty popular with Honda and Miata guys. They take a basic BC Racing BR coilover and revalve it with their custom specs. I requested specific spring rates, helper springs, and bump stops. All of that at no additional charge.
    • They are still single-adjustable. The compression side has a nice digressive curve but transitions to linear/progressive the softer it goes. Rebound is fairly linear and remains that way through the whole adjustment range
    • IMG_4957.jpg
      IMG_4954.jpg
      917hp87i-png.735901
    • Red/orange lines are the Front dampers. Green/Blue lines are rear.
    • 1719189974696.png
  8. I made my own quick-release brackets for the front bumper. I would say I am about 80% happy with it. Very sturdy but the panel gap is larger than desired. At least this will be much better than using the original holes/bolts.
That's about where we are today.
New alternator arrives in a few days.
Next planned track day is July 5th. I expect with the alternator sorted there should be no more issues (fingers crossed!!).

917hp87i.png

Last edited:
Update 7/14:

This weekend was a big one!! The Talon finally made it’s first track day on Friday!!!!

First things first, I had no delusions of coming out and running consistently or even close to what a competitive lap time might be. In fact the only times I have are from a friend who timed from track side on the fourth session of the day. It just doesn’t matter at this point.

A few things about the car/tune:
-RPM limited to 5500 - no WOT tuning before this session so we are taking steps.
-Suspension/brakes are untested.
- Aero is trimmed to lowest setting
- Tires are old - from a friend who ran them for 8hrs in Champcar. They have tread but not going to give me their best.

Now, here’s a quick breakdown of each session.

Session 1: didn’t even go out
- PiLink was installed literally the night before and I was not happy with the configuration. The wideband and MAP signals weren’t correct. That is partially my lack of time, partially my misunderstanding of the pilink setup.

Session 2: did a total of 2 laps
- first, I went out and immediately came into the pits, without crossing the finish line. We strapped my laptop into the car so I wanted to check it captured data. It dis not.
- went out again doing the same out/in lap. Still no data. The cable seems to be bouncing around ABs losing connection on track.

Session 3: fixed the connections issues finally!!
- went out and did three ~40% effort laps. Mainly I wanted to check WOT afrs and that nothing in the car/suspension/brakes was weirs. It certainly was so we decided to regroup.
- found the knock sensor disconnected at the harness, likely my fault from previous maintenance. Plugged back in and good to go.
- began doing fuel adjustments based on the few WOT pulls. This track only has a ~1/3 mile straight so it’s pretty short. The data wasn’t too far off but the next session will the knock condition.

Session 4: beginning to get more into it. Total 6 laps
- I’d say we are getting towards 70% efforts now. Session ended because we blew an Intercooler pipe off.
- Knock looked great after the session, only a few things here or there, 0.4-0.7deg. I’d say we are fine. Still lean up top around 5000-5500rpm so we adjusted the SD table.
- Brakes are powerful but not in any case ready for a competition setting. Brake bias is totally wrong. Feeling is vague due to the vacuum booster. Front brakes lock very easily.

Session 5: let’s give her some beans
- Upped the rev limit to 6000 based on the previous session data. A few more adjustments to SD table but looks very reasonably safe.
- I am giving up literal seconds in the braking zone. Little confidence and cannot go too deep without risk of locking.
- in fact, the front right locked up going into a right hand turn, some steering already in it so straightened up and went off track at ~15-20 mph. No damage to the car.
- Checked over the car in the pit lane and went out again. This time I made about 1.5 full laps before another boost leak. This time a rubber plug came off the throttle body.
- Trundled around half the track back to the paddock and put it on the trailer.

All-in-all, this is what happens at test days. I’m very happy to have just made it out AB’s run laps. I can see the potential, i believe it will be a very solid car once some of the braking and traction issues are squared away.

As a final celebration, my best friend came to the track and we celebrated the small win at the end of the day!
Onto the next!

D08B7B7C-5E71-4704-B09F-89040D054D16.jpeg

IMG_20240712_165516.jpeg

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back