The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

2G Road noise in the rear 2g fwd

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrysler kid

20+ Year Contributor
Dec 20, 2002
Mckinney, Texas
So I have 2 gst's one is bone stock except for a catback, the other is pretty modified

There has always been what I consider to be shit box level noise from the rear area, I have even replaced the rear wheel bearings on my stock 2g with no improvement, I had just come to accept that it was maybe extra road noise amplified by aftermarket exhaust somehow

Until I drove a friends 2g spyder. This 98 gst spyder has zero road noise and feels like its actually a nice car.

Is it just because the spyder has a seperated cargo trunk to isolate the noise?

Basically want the input of non spyder owners to see if you guys also have any excessive amount of road noise, or if my 2 gst's just have old tires that make excessive noise from the hatch area because of old tires

All input is appreciated

My 97 was N/A but basically the same rear suspension as a GS-T. I had stock exhaust still and never had a lot of road noise in it in my opinion. I've never been in a spyder so unfortunately can't compare it with that

Tires can make a ton of difference. Experienced that with my truck. I went from goodyear wrangler A/T tires to sumitomo encounter HT tires and the noise level drastically decreased. Obviously truck tires can differ more than cars since they make them in pretty aggressive treads, but I was surprised at how much difference there was.

check the rear upper spring isolators, those can go bad and then you get metal on metal noises. of course check all the ball joints an bushes and even bolts if they are a fraction loose

I've never driven a FWD coupe but certainly the AWD models haven't been any louder than the Spyders. At least not in terms of road noise...

It might just be the cheap rear tires then. The date codes on my stock gst is like 2012
I was about to say that check your tires, cuz that's 70% of the time reason for road noises

Also Jesus Christ, 2012?! those rubbers are over 10 years old now so definitely that's causing some noise!

Have you thought about flip flopping the front and rear tires and see if the noise follows it not?

No 2g I have ever been in made excessive noise unless it had an underlying problem. Driven and rode in pretty much any combination of engine/drivetrain.

-Daniel

I was about to say that check your tires, cuz that's 70% of the time reason for road noises

Also Jesus Christ, 2012?! those rubbers are over 10 years old now so definitely that's causing some noise!
2012 isnt bad, I think the fronts are 2017.. I can try flipping those 2 around

And theres no flipping the set on the blue car. 2007

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

2012 isnt bad, I think the fronts are 2017.. I can try flipping those 2 around

And theres no flipping the set on the blue car. 2007

2012 is bad! Tires are made to last only 4 years, 10year old tires rubber gets hard and starts to crack etc. You can't even pass inspection if tires are older than 4years, with that old tires you're a moving danger for yourself and others on the road

I also have very old tyres (10+y) on my gsx, i buyed them new and never drove much with the car.
Rubber gets very hard and they lose alot of traction .. the only good thing is the tire profile never goes down 😄.

If you dont have a mechanical problem and you want to get your car more silent while driving, get some bitumen foil and put it on the rear tyre housing.
There is a small old one attached and most case its not mounted well from factory or its hard from the years.
Before that i could hear every little stone hitting the housing.

The more sound absorbing material you place on your big metal parts the more confort you get. There are even bitumen foil with foam on top , they use this in sound studios.
Yes its weight 🙄..
I covered almost every big metal surface in my daily talon for acoustic reasons for my sound system.
Especially the large metal surfaces transfer every vibration, the vibrate like a drum.

I love the silence when i drive compare to before . And how the door sounds when you close it. Like a real expensive car 😅.

These tires will always make noise. Generally seen on lifted trucks this pronounced. They sound like a tank going down the road.

So youre saying a nice smokey burnout would help to resurface them LOL

They never check tire date codes at inspection in texas, they just check depth wear. If they were checking date codes I think I would have to shave them and re imprint the dates 🤣

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back