The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Rising Price of the older DSM's

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

There have always been a few high priced outliers in the 2g market but I haven't really noticed the upward swing on 1995+ Eclipses. I have definitely noticed a significant upswing in 1g values and for a while I saw at least one 1990 GSX every single week going for $10-15k. That's the trend and I'm not the slightest bit surprised. Maybe if we're lucky they'll fall into the hands of owners with deeper pockets and not owners with cleaner garages, and we'll get a parts renaissance. Bobby, STM, MachV, Morrison, etc. can only carry the market for so long...

Yep, it's following the trend of all 90's imports, they're all going up. My chances of ever owning a 90's supra or NSX are gone LoL
That ship has sailed for me too. A good friend of mine just bought an R33 GTR for $50k. I love those cars, but you can get a wide selection of better cars for that kind of money.

When I was looking back in 2015, you could find a decent awd 1g or 2g for $4-$5k that would pop up every couple of weeks. Of course, a bit higher if they were cleaner & low mileage. I just checked yesterday on autotempest.com and there were 4/5 awd’s for sale and maybe 1 fwd turbo. They were in great condition and above $8k. Autotempest checks all Craigslist’s listing throughout the US. They are definitely going up in price :rocks::hellyeah:

I bought my 96 AWD less than a year ago and paid $7250, which was well more than I would've ever thought paying. However it was one owner with low miles, and I figured I wouldn't be able to find one like that again so I went for it.

Ive got a bone stock 91 Tsi AWD with 91k that im slowly restoring to sell. Im glad itll be perfect timing to sell LOL

Funny for you guys that your cars were above $2k.

Mine was $500. ROFL

Mine is about to be restored though, bahahaha! So possibly with a GSX conversion, it might cost over $9k. At least, you know... predicting... Yeah.

I believe i was very fortunate to get my 01 at $1000.00... All my car buddies say it was a real super good deal.. .I was offered $10.000. and turned it down. This year I plan on replacing the Struts and adding a simulated dual exhaust..Un-fortunate for me I wont see my baby until May.. " Keep em clean and rust free. "

I believe i was very fortunate to get my 01 at $1000.00... All my car buddies say it was a real super good deal.. .I was offered $10.000. and turned it down. This year I plan on replacing the Struts and adding a simulated dual exhaust..Un-fortunate for me I wont see my baby until May.. " Keep em clean and rust free. "
The 01 is a totally different car though and has nothing to do with the 90-99 DSM's which are the ones going up in value.

Sorry to say but I don't ever see a 3g Eclipse going up in value LOL

I bought my Evo 1 RS at a salvage auction in 2008 for $2,200 CAD. It had 42,000 km (around 26,000 miles) and had some issues, but I had it looking really nice for a reasonable investment. Decent Evo 123s could be had under $10,000 CAD all day until 2018, now they go for $20,000+ to the US. A couple weeks ago, a really nice Evo 1 RS with similar mileage to mine sold for $46,300 NZD (around $42,500 CAD). The price of these things is absolutely soaring worldwide and it's just not worth it, in my opinion. Buy these clean AWD DSMs while the prices are still low (and believe me, yes they are still low).

Ive got a bone stock 91 Tsi AWD with 91k that im slowly restoring to sell. Im glad itll be perfect timing to sell LOL

I've got the same in a '92 stick with under 78k miles on it that I'm slowly restoring. So far it's just the mechanical stuff but eventually I'll get to the body and interior. Considering that I paid just over $20k for it (yes, I'm the one and only original owner), if I can get anywhere near $10k for it when I finally decide to let it go, even considering what I've spent on it over the years, it'll be almost as if I had a really cheap VERY long term rental or lease.

Well my first one was 10,000, in 1994, 60 thousand miles a 91, ive had always owned one those who know what they have. Are keeping them, or stocking parts not to sell them, but to use.

34k original miles on mine and I have the original numbers matching engine also.. (It's currently under the knife with a a 2.4 build via Sasani Fab, but I have all of the original parts including the seats). I say please bring on these skyrocketing prices, it's about time that good clean builds/original DSM's received their just due in the collector car world (I will admit, I am eating my own words in saying I doubted it would ever happen, but not mad at all)..

So I was about to pull out of a parking lot today and this young guy who was probably not even born when I bought my Talon started asking me about it. He knew it was a DSM and what they were and could do, and appeared quite excited and impressed by it.

So I gave him the abbreviated "elevator pitch" version of its story, my restoring it, work yet to be done, etc. I said that I might sell it eventually, and he immediately offered to give me his number in case I do. I told him I'm talking some years down the line and definitely not any time soon, especially since I've been restoring it and want to enjoy it.

Second young guy who's chatted me up about it recently. I've had several other inquiries over the past few years. I knew it was a "semi-classic", but it looks to be turning into an actual one, at least ones in better shape like mine is, even though it definitely still needs quite a bit more work, both mechanical and aesthetic.

Are folks still racing 1G's in large numbers, or are they now phasing into "collector" status? I had no real idea what a special car I was getting when I first bought it. I mean I knew it was a nice car, but I didn't know enough about cars back then to really appreciate its uniqueness, especially the engine, which is supposed to be one of the best inline 4's ever made.

I guess I'll have to hold onto it a while longer. Any chance one in near-top shape ever goes over $20k in value and at what point do you have to start worrying about capital gains taxes?

I should also give some thought to securing it better and maybe upping the insurance. It has custom-added shift and hood locks, and an alarm I haven't used in ages. But maybe something more in line with modern technology is called for, e.g. hidden GPS and silent theft detection and alert, engine disconnect, etc. Suggestions?

I said that I might sell it eventually, and he immediately offered to give me his number in case I do.
Second young guy who's chatted me up about it recently. I've had several other inquiries over the past few years.
I should also give some thought to securing it better and maybe upping the insurance. Suggestions?

I love it. This reminds me of my dad who had a 1968 Camaro SS350 that he had bought new and kept for basically the rest of his life. For the the last 25 years or so of his life, he lived in a condo with outdoor only parking - car ports. He would find notes with phone numbers on his windshield all the time, and offers.

There were also 3 or 4 times that people tried to steal it. Steering wheel lock, no good. What saved the car was a secret ignition kill switch that nobody ever found.
So yeah, I think I'll email my insurance person and see what they would cover the car for if it was a total loss, like stolen or fire or whatever. I bet they are looking the other way on this. Might be time for a "stated value" policy.

What I most fear is a quiet flatbed in the middle of the night, or someone jacking up all 4 wheels and putting one axis on dollies and the other raised. With the right equipment you could probably tow any car away in under 60 seconds no matter what security it has. At which point only a way to detect and track the vehicle's removal and location before tracking is disabled is really useful. But pros probably have that figured out too, like a trailer with EMF shielding. If someone really wants to steal a car parked outside, they'll find a way.

Cool story about your dad. I doubt I'll keep mine for life. At a certain point it's just not going to make sense to me. But that's still a ways away, at least a couple of years. I want to enjoy my work through all 4 seasons a few more times at least, and maybe take it on one more long road trip. It's already crossed the country 4 times. Has a few more left in it. Maybe Alaska?

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back