The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Rising Price of the older DSM's

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

If anything the 2gs will go up in value. They're really scarce compared to years ago. They rust out remarkably easily, then on top of that they're all modded/parted to death. That's the desired body style as well. I really think 20 years from now they'll be coveted. Just not yet.

I have been toying with the idea of selling my 99 gsx with 66k in order to get a one of the newer challenger scat packs. This thread gives me pause though because I don't want to sell it just to see values continue to rise.
If you're concerned over values dropping just get a gen 1/2 viper for the same price as that challenger. Challengers are dime a dozen and I don't see their value going up as there's nothing special about them.

If anything the 2gs will go up in value. They're really scarce compared to years ago. They rust out remarkably easily, then on top of that they're all modded/parted to death. That's the desired body style as well. I really think 20 years from now they'll be coveted. Just not yet.

If you're concerned over values dropping just get a gen 1/2 viper for the same price as that challenger. Challengers are dime a dozen and I don't see their value going up as there's nothing special about them.
Or both! Unfortunately not in the cards right now haha. Would be nice though.

I love my 1g's and with a 20g bolt on turbo, outran scatpak challengers at the track before I went crazy modding. I see the selling prices on all models going up lately and wondered if I should think about selling one of mine but it is such a joy to drive as a stock turbo car that I am sure I would miss it!

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Hagerty posted an article on April 28th about the rising value of 90's Japanese and German cars.
They didn't mention Talon/Eclipse, but they did mention 3000GT:
They showed this chart:

Why the 2G's specifically? Because they have better suspension than the 1G's and maybe other improvements (that I don't know about because I have a 1G, the only DSM I've ever owned, and it's near top of the line for a 1G and even with its various issues has always been pretty solid and in good shape)? Styling? Something else?

Asking for myself, not a friend. :)

I see them listed for higher prices lately and maybe some people are getting their asking price but the reality is these cars are still cheap. Here's what I got a few weeks ago for 1200 bucks:

My other 2g was 2800 bucks, 86k miles from 2018:

Both of these from a few years ago, one on the left was 1200 and well modded, one on the right was 3500 and I probably paid too much honestly.

So, if you have patience and check daily for them it's business as usual. If you must buy one tomorrow I'm sure there are some listed for high prices but that doesn't mean it's what they're really going for.

What condition were they in, mechanically and otherwise? They obviously look nice, in terms of body condition and interior.

What condition were they in, mechanically and otherwise? They obviously look nice, in terms of body condition and interior.
Eclipse needed a fender. It was in storage since 07 so I redid the belts and stuff. Talon needed nothing aside of a rear wheel bearing.

Why the 2G's specifically?
Distinguished look and iconic yet still DSMs. 2gb's are absolutely beautiful.

No offense but the iconic pop up headlights of the 90-91 is iconic. They was the last pop up headlights. The g2 is iconic because it was used in movies. But I would buy a 90-91 long before a 94+. Because the 90-92 box was the first true 4 banger sleeper that would would eat that 600hp v8 up back in the 90's. I remember when I raced my 70 mustang and if one of these little suckers lined up I would pull off. And would say ya not today. And asked why and would go that little suckers could go 11 or 9 and you will not know it till it takes off.

I have started hunting down turbo 2gs to add to my ever growing collection. Picked up a 99 GST last week for 350 bucks. Bone stock with a bad timing belt 140k miles. I own a small mechanics shop and I get a lot of people stopping in and asking if the Talon parked out front is for sale. I would say more so recently than when I had the GSX parked outside the performance shop I used to work at.

Im glad their finally starting to be worth something, I knew they would be eventually but didnt know if it'd be in my life time. I'm finally making progress on selling off my dsm hoard. Last 2 of my shells leave this month, 95 awd talons up for sale right now. All I'm left with is 2 1gb awd talons, 1 2gb eclipse gst (awd swapped) and 1 2gb eclipse gst spyder......still think I gotta sell 1 more at lest.
I really hope they do keep going up in value, I got most of mine for $1k or less and need to make some money for the work put in.

I can honestly say the only time I see a “DSM” in person is when I go in my garage LOL. As time goes on and these $h!tBoxes get older their only going to get that much more rare. This forum might as well be a “collectors car” forum, as the last year DSM is 22 years old. They’ll never get any less cool, new cars are lame and slow, I’ll never sell mine.

What's "1gb" or "g2"? Isn't it supposed to be "1G", "2G", etc.? Is that an alternate designation? In any case, not letting go of my G1 Trubo ADW shift stick any time soon.

Honestly I’m just filled with happiness that now I can spend under $300 (on my 96) and be covered for the entire year!

What's "1gb" or "g2"? Isn't it supposed to be "1G", "2G", etc.? Is that an alternate designation? In any case, not letting go of my G1 Trubo ADW shift stick any time soon.
1ga 90 91, 1gb 92 to 94
2ga 95 96
2gb 97 to 99
All restyling changes.

What insurance provider? I have progressive full comprehensive but I’m sure anything over $500 in damage they would gladly cut me a “totaled” check to the tune of maybe $2500 LOL, I may look into something like Hagerty to cover my financial investment into this car

Yes. Owners will frequently identify they have a 6/4 car when they have a 92. 93, 94 won't as it's known those are 7/4. 90 91 wont identify as it's know all of them are 6/3 cars. 92 have been seen with 3 bolt but I don't recall seeing 92s with 7 bolt motors.
So....92 6/4 are the "holy grail" of 1g in some people's opinion, mine included. I do prefer 1ga bodystyle though and if I ever own another 1g it will be a 91.

Yeah I had no idea when I bought it that it was in some ways the ideal DSM (obviously there are certain advantages to 2G's like suspension and brakes).

And I actually prefer the non-popup headlights although I can see why some prefer the popups as that was kind of popular in the late 80's (and one of my non-popups got dinged pretty bad by a falling branch and I believe they no longer make replacements). But it's what's under the hood so to speak that most matters.

I think I'll hang onto mine a while longer. Tomorrow I finally tackle the dreaded timing belt job, and as you know I'm replacing nearly everything there.

https://americancollectors.com is who I went through, I can send you the name of the woman who signed me, she can lay out the costs of varying options. For me I chose the (cheapest get me on the road option). Mainly a recreational vehicle when the weather suits it. ie- not a daily driver. I can pm yah the breakdown if you’ like

And I actually prefer the non-popup headlights although I can see why some prefer the popups as that was kind of popular in the late 80's (and one of my non-popups got dinged pretty bad by a falling branch and I believe they no longer make replacements). But it's what's under the hood so to speak that most matters.
I agree with you there for sure. I love the look of the 2g's (2gb especially) and that's why I'm in the process of the 2gb conversion on my 95. The look of the 2g's is a lot better than the 1g's imo, just that beautiful late 90's Japanese styling gets me every time. Although I will say the 1g's look really good as racecars/track rats. As long as its a DSM I'm always happy LOL
I had pop up headlights on my old Porsche 944, and they fit that car really well. The pop ups on the DSM's of the early 90's look a bit off in my opinion, but not as bad as some other cars (lookin at you late 90's firebird).

I think the 2Gs look great if you're into that curvy look popular back then as I think they got it just right. But while I think the 1Gs look a bit "fat" when you look at them either head-on or front the rear, but not excessively so, to me they look amazing in profile, like a cross-section of an aerodynamic wing just meant to be slicing through air like a hot knife through butter. I think they got that perfect. I also prefer the slightly raised Talon spoiler to the "integral" Eclipse one, but of course I'm biased.

The one thing I've never really liked about my 1G, aside from the never quite as slick as you want it to be manual trans, is that it just feels a tad too heavy, especially when cornering it. I suppose that that's why many folks mod theirs to up the power output, but I think it also has to do with the less than ideal suspension, that only has lower control arms, compared to 2Gs, as well as the fact that, fully loaded, as mine is (A/C, AWD, ABS, etc.), it actually is a bit heavy for a car in this class.

But that's mostly nit-picking. For the $20k or so I spent on it, I got way more than you could reasonably expect at the time for a performance car with its features.

Love my 1g for over 25 years 2gs are ok to be but much love for the 1gb, especailly after owning a few. At the time awd and turbo was rare next to the super rare celica altracs. I remember a friend had one it was a cool little celica.

Am I the only one who is bummed DSMs are going up in price? I loved the days when I could hop on Craigslist and find a few new 1g DSM postings daily. Almost always under $2,000.

That was part of the appeal.....cheap speed! Spare motors, shells, parts, even entire cars for under a grand.

I'm counting on them going up, at least the ones in better condition. After all the work I've done (and have yet to do) and money I've spent on restoring mine (and all the aggravation I've caused folks here with my endless questions), it had better fetch a fair price if and when I sell it someday.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back