The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Rising Price of the older DSM's

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The nice ones are going up in price. I paid $5,500 in 2009 for my 97 gsx witch was 100% stock. Look up hagerty price guide now on the dsms. We try to snag any we can find for good deals. Buddy snagged a 92 tsi awd 5spd leather car all stock with 55k miles for $900. Needs trans and paint work. I am confident after it’s finished in original form it will bring $12,000+.

I get multiple offers every year to buy my car. I attend a lot of car shows, and I organize one, so it comes with the territory, but in recent years, I've been offered some pretty decent money. Just a few weeks ago, some random dude in KY saw my car on IG and DM'd me with a message to buy it. Crazy.
So, all that to say I agree. They are going up!

3KGTs are going up too. I've got a few friends with them and I'd grab one in a heartbeat if the right one came along.

I was doing some minor work on my 1G yesterday and some young guy who lives down the block and has a souped-up BMW came by to compliment me on it. It seems like once or twice a week now some young guy asks me or compliments me about it.

Never used to happen back when I drove it regularly before it broke down. We're talking 6-7 years ago. Has there been a resurgence of interest in DSMs over this time? Anyway, I appreciate the attention but it makes me feel self-conscious. To me it's a fun DD, not about bragging rights. I'm kind of too old for that anyway.

Right now my Talon still needs a lot of body work as most of the stuff I've done is under the hood and car and invisible to passersby, and yet I still get questions, comments and compliments. It doesn't look horrible, just has a bunch of dings, dents, scratches and whatnot from years of use, and badly needs a new paint job. So I can only imagine the reactions I'll get when it looks a lot nicer. Maybe I'll print up some cards?

And on the not at all stock end of the DSM world, I just got Netflix and I was looking around and saw a car show called Fastest Car, and in the first episode of the first season they had a '92 Talon TSi AWD, which is what I have, drag racing 3 other cars. It's supposed to be the fastest "bolt on" turbo 1G DSM in the world, and the driver, Adriana Noonen, is supposedly well-known in the DSM world. Has anyone here seen this show (probably a stupid question)? She claims that the car gets between 250 and 1500HP, which I assume is an inside joke.

Here's a link to an article on it:

https://dragillustrated.com/adriana-noonen-gears-up-for-season-2-release-of-fastest-car-on-netflix/

And on the not at all stock end of the DSM world, I just got Netflix and I was looking around and saw a car show called Fastest Car, and in the first episode of the first season they had a '92 Talon TSi AWD, which is what I have, drag racing 3 other cars. It's supposed to be the fastest "bolt on" turbo 1G DSM in the world, and the driver, Adriana Noonen, is supposedly well-known in the DSM world. Has anyone here seen this show (probably a stupid question)? She claims that the car gets between 250 and 1500HP, which I assume is an inside joke.

Here's a link to an article on it:

https://dragillustrated.com/adriana-noonen-gears-up-for-season-2-release-of-fastest-car-on-netflix/

Her screen name is noliftnoonen

I’m just glad to see these finally on the rise. Makes the reality of owning and storing two 50k milers worthwhile.

Her screen name is noliftnoonen

Thanks. Didn't realize she posted here. Actually didn't know about her till I randomly saw this episode. When they showed the engine, I realized it was likely a DSM. Then when I saw the car's profile, I realized it was a Talon. When I found out that it was a '92 TSi AWD, like mine, I got a kick out of that. Other than the color, we basically have the exact same car. Except for about 1000 parts and nearly as many HP more on hers. LOL

She reminds me of my budding prodigy nephew, who also talks really fast and tries to cram in as much information as possible into a sentence. I'm impressed at how someone this young has so much car expertise and driving skills. I didn't even get into serious car maintenance and repair till a few years ago, and I'm older than her dad. Of course my dad has zero mechanical ability so I had to teach myself.

Anyway, glad I happened upon this show. I doubt I'll watch it much as, like most "reality" shows, it seems to focus more on the personalities, stories and drama than on the actual cars, with quick jumps and edits and not much depth. But it's always nice to see another Talon. Almost no one's ever heard of them who's not an owner or enthusiast. Eclipses, yes, but Talons, what's that?

I think it's great that DSMs are rising in price. Honestly though, a vast majority of DSM owners are their own worst enemy when it comes to price. It seems that anytime someone posts to sell on social media, people are slamming the owner for selling "too high." This is a bs excuse as a car is worth the price someone is willing to pay for it. Having grown up during the time of "The Fast and the Furious" I can tell you my generation has a huge appreciation for these cars and I only see them rising in value as less are available and nostalgia kicks in. Reason I mention this is because we can finally afford to buy and build cars we don't need.

It is pretty common for me to have people run up to me at store parking lots, gas stations, and even pulling up next to me to ask about the car. Not everyone knows our cars, it's more of a "if you know, you know" kind of thing and those people freak out when they see it.

Rising prices don't matter much to me but someday I'll sell my Talon and it's nice to know that if I take good care of it and keep it more or less stock and nice-looking, I should be able to fetch a decent price for it.

My next car will hopefully be an EV, and the more they replace ICE cars, the higher fuel prices will likely get, making them less affordable to drive. Ours DSMs use expensive premium gas which isn't cheap, and don't get the greatest mpg.

In the meantime, though, I'll somehow have to learn to deal with all the new attention that I never used to get with it.

Rising prices don't matter much to me but someday I'll sell my Talon and it's nice to know that if I take good care of it and keep it more or less stock and nice-looking, I should be able to fetch a decent price for it.

An EV..... How you gonna get the spool up and whistles with that manual dump sound record you dam then replay it on thw stereo?

My next car will hopefully be an EV, and the more they replace ICE cars, the higher fuel prices will likely get, making them less affordable to drive. Ours DSMs use expensive premium gas which isn't cheap, and don't get the greatest mpg.

In the meantime, though, I'll somehow have to learn to deal with all the new attention that I never used to get with it.

I care more about how my car drives and looks than how cool others think it is. I expect this to be as true of my future EV as of my Talon. Plus, where I live, too much attention is not necessarily a good thing.

I care more about how my car drives and looks than how cool others think it is. I expect this to be as true of my future EV as of my Talon. Plus, where I live, too much attention is not necessarily a good thing.
Seems you are really infatuated with EV's, is there a particular reason why? Tesla's make me want to puke, I have not found any equivalent whatsoever in the car world that would ever make me give up my 4/6/8/12 cyl sound that I experience when being around gas powered cars.. :hellyeah:

Not "infatuated". More like intrigued and resigned. They seem really cool in certain ways, amazing acceleration, very quiet, cleaner, zero emissions (at least the car itself), infinitely variable power output (in theory), etc.

Plus they're clearly where the vehicle industry is headed. ICE engine cars will be around forever in some form, but eventually they'll be an enthusiast niche, kind of like film cameras or ham radios. EVs are the future. Duh.

I'm not really a "car person". I like them and all, but I'm not into them like most folks here. I'm not even a DSM enthusiast, even though I've owned and enjoyed driving one for over 28 years. (I might be in denial about this though.)

As for engine sounds, not my thing. To me it's all about what's under the hood and what the car can do, power, handling, steering, etc., not what it sounds like as it's doing it. But I get the appeal. I guess I'm just old.

Hagerty just insured my '90 Talon for $22,000. So that's great. Probably couldn't have done that a few years ago. And the premium went down from what I was paying for "regular" insurance which didn't even have any collision coverage at all. But that's low usage, no racing, kept in a garage, have had the same insurance agent for like 20 years, etc, etc, etc.

That's great. How do you get an insurer to insure your car for its true market value and not its blue book nominal value, which for 1G's is I'm guessing below $1000 now? Do you have to get an approved independent assessor to inspect and value it?

That's great. How do you get an insurer to insure your car for its true market value and not its blue book nominal value, which for 1G's is I'm guessing below $1000 now? Do you have to get an approved independent assessor to inspect and value it?

My Allstate agent is the one I called to do this. I asked for a "stated value" policy. Expected him to say "we don't have that" because that's what he said a few years ago when I asked him. But this time he said "we can give you that from Hagerty". They call it "Classic Automobile" coverage with a "Guaranteed Value". (I'll post screen shots of some of the language used on the policy, below).

He told me they have a range of values for each car year and model. Top of the range for my car was $22,000.
That is the top guaranteed value you can get without an appraiser. If you want a guaranteed value higher than that, you have to get an appraiser to value it higher. Some kind of appraiser, I don't remember what he called it but it can't be just anybody.

Then he gave me the cost, and it was $200 less per year than I had been paying Allstate for a "regular" policy that had no collision at all.
I kind of went for this thing right away because my cousin had already told me that he has Hagerty stated value on his ancient Toyota Land Cruiser and he thinks Hagerty is great.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I believe they call him a Certified Independent Appraiser .. The nice thing about Hagerty Insurance is they appreciate the time and effort you put into your car. They know we are nuts about our rides and protect it as if it was our first born .
A fellow I know does appraisals .. he does a lot of research on each vehicle he appraises taking into account what it would cost to build what you have and all the money you spent to achieve your goal .. Some of you have spent way over 20.000. grand so it would make sense to have it independently appraised ..

I see them listed for higher prices lately and maybe some people are getting their asking price but the reality is these cars are still cheap. Here's what I got a few weeks ago for 1200 bucks:

My other 2g was 2800 bucks, 86k miles from 2018:

Both of these from a few years ago, one on the left was 1200 and well modded, one on the right was 3500 and I probably paid too much honestly.

So, if you have patience and check daily for them it's business as usual. If you must buy one tomorrow I'm sure there are some listed for high prices but that doesn't mean it's what they're really going for.

I see them listed for higher prices lately and maybe some people are getting their asking price but the reality is these cars are still cheap. Here's what I got a few weeks ago for 1200 bucks:

My other 2g was 2800 bucks, 86k miles from 2018:

Both of these from a few years ago, one on the left was 1200 and well modded, one on the right was 3500 and I probably paid too much honestly.

So, if you have patience and check daily for them it's business as usual. If you must buy one tomorrow I'm sure there are some listed for high prices but that doesn't mean it's what they're really going for.
I agree with your post to a certain extent. I think one variable is how much work someone is willing to put into a car beyond basic repairs and maintenance. When I got mine I had looked at several more "used" DSM's and been scared off by the idea of major repairs because I didn't have as much knowledge (not that I have much more now) or confidence in fixing it. Some people may not want to buy one for less if they are going to have to put more time into it. They may pay substantially more for a dsm that will be more turn key so to speak. To clarify I am not saying the ones you bought do require more work but it may be a thought that crosses buyers minds.

Most of my posts lately contradict this but I have been toying with the idea of selling my 99 gsx with 66k in order to get a one of the newer challenger scat packs. This thread gives me pause though because I don't want to sell it just to see values continue to rise. And I don't know that I could let it go.

I wonder what the continuing decrease of oem parts for transmissions and similar will do to values. I can see it increasing demand because people will want them and they will get rarer but at the same time maybe folks will get scared off by the idea of not being able to fix it when something breaks if there are no replacement parts available.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back