The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G Rims and tires need help

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EazyLoc

Proven Member
Feb 19, 2014
Brooklyn, New_York
A friend of mine just got new rims. So he wants to sell me the ones that were on his car. They are 18". At first I didnt want to because 18s on a dsm is ahhh. But he sent me a pic of how they looked on his old dsm. I was in love. My dad runs a tire place and he he said that if the tire sizes are not the same it will kill my awd. My friends wheels are wider in the rear then the front. So I came to the here to the experts to find out if I should or should not. I drive a 95 eclipse gsx awd auto transmission with only 70,000 miles on it no mods just maintenace done to it. Would putting these wheels on kill my awd?

General rule of thumb for Awd is to keep all the wheels the same I no different diameter tires are not a good idea because different size tires rotate at different rates wich causes uneven wear and possibly even binding of gears. I don't know if the width would affect the same way. Two will obviously be slightly heavier wich could cause problems and you will probablly have some uneven wear I wouldn't chance it just for looks. Listen to what your father has to say sounds like he would know.

Anybody agree with guy above I need to know asap.
absolutely!!!! width is NOT a problem, but diameter is..... think about it, say the rear were 18'' and the front were 17'', the 18'' rims are bigger, thus one rotation will cover more distance than the smaller 17'' rim.... its like locking up the front and having the rears roll, it would damage the drivetrain. sorry if that's confusing but as long as the rims and tires are all EXACTLY the same size as far as diameter, you are golden. width is fine if they are different.

Correct Your center diff wouldn't be happy. But I'd also like to say you can have different rim widths, tire widths,or even different rim sizes and with the correct tire size/aspect Ratio the tires be the same height. Not that you would want to but it is possible.

---The simple answer make sure there all the same overall height and that they clear your rear knuckles and fenders all around.--

The rear are 18x10 front 18x9
you sound like your ready to rock! :thumb:

make sure when you get tires the ONLY the width changes. for example, you could have 235/45/18 front and 245/45/18 rears. but if you had 235/45/18 front and 245/40/18 rear, this would not work because the middle number or the aspect ratio was changed, with whatever size you decide to get, make sure the middle number is the same and you will have absolutely no problems. ask your father for more assistance on what size to get.

No that isn't right. Aspect ration being the same with different widths makes the heights different. For an awd the actual tire rolling circumference has to be the same. It can be slightly off in circumference but not by much. Some say within 2%, some say within 1/4" circumference but in general closer is better.
http://www.rimsntires.com/specspro.jsp

No that isn't right. Aspect ration being the same with different widths makes the heights different. For an awd the actual tire rolling circumference has to be the same. It can be slightly off in circumference but not by much. Some say within 2%, some say within 1/4" circumference but in general closer is better.
http://www.rimsntires.com/specspro.jsp
your right my bad its circumference not aspect ratio....... been a looong morning haha.

For 235/45/18, 235 would be the width in millimeters and the 45 would be the sidewall height being 45% of the width. You could possibly do 235/45/18 and 245/40/18 and that would be close, but again probably not worth the risk. On a 18x9 vs 18x10 you can usually put a couple of sizes and still have it work. You might be able to do 235/40/18 on both. You need to make sure that the offset is also good because I don't think 245 will fit and even 235s need a high offset. Keep the overall tire height with wheel is the most important.

For 235/45/18, 235 would be the width in millimeters and the 45 would be the sidewall height being 45% of the width. You could possibly do 235/45/18 and 245/40/18 and that would be close, but again probably not worth the risk. On a 18x9 vs 18x10 you can usually put a couple of sizes and still have it work. You might be able to do 235/40/18 on both. You need to make sure that the offset is also good because I don't think 245 will fit and even 235s need a high offset. Keep the overall tire height with wheel is the most important.
ya i wasn't suggesting those sizes just giving an example but yes you are correct, that last sentence is key. also wider rear tires in rear will cause more unnecessary understeer and the awd will handle the launch so just get the same size front and rear.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back