The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

420A Right Fuel Rail?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

It may be half assed, but I can't see how two regulators would conflict with each other. The return line on the front regulator is blocked off, so it can't affect anything.

What you need to do, is use the regulator that the ECU was designed to work with. Returnless systems have constant pressure, and systems with a vacuum hose on the regulator vary the fuel pressure based on engine load.

Alright, despite what any service manual may say, the fuel rail that has an fpr located on the rail is a fuel rail for the 95. The 96 and up have an fpr located in back by the rear tire. I have yet to see a 96 that has had an fpr located on the rail (there are "whispers" out there about a few early year 96's having an fpr located on the rail. But there is zero evidence of this. All I have heard is people have "heard" about the possibility, LOL). I have owned two 96's and both have had the fpr in the rear (yeah, that oughta be proof enough LOL).

Alex, your situation is good support for the 96 rear fpr theory. You own an early year 96 (oct 96). In spite of the fact that you had that blocked off 95 rail on there, you have a 96 and up fuel set-up on the chassis. Think about it; if you look at your set-up on the filter/fpr, see if you can find a spot that they spliced it in. If you originally had an fpr on the rail and a fuel filter inside the engine bay (as the "early" fuel set-up does), you would have had to of had the lines spliced in on both; in front of the rear wheelwell and at the firewall filter (as well as some sort of connection to the body made up for the fpr/filter set-up. Since they didn't have it in the 95 model). You will see that everything looks original on your car.

Now there are ACTUALLY 3 different rails (haha that ought to muddy up the waters more). Let me just post up this link, to save me some 'splainin' 2GNT.com Forums - Viewing topic - What da hell kind of fuel setup do I have?? (PIC)

I believe your two rail situations (yours and the OP's) came about because, somewhere down the road, the engine was pulled and a 95 engine (or head and intake) was put in. Instead of pulling off the intake and switching the rails, they simply kept it together (less work) and capped off the old FPR (they just didn't do it too well, LOL).

Now with this being said, its actually ALL a moot point :p Whatever system you have on your car is the system you have. Your ECU doesn't care either way. If you have an fpr on the rail and the system is set-up properly, then that will work fine. If you have the fpr in back and the rail is correct, that will work properly.

MB

Thanks for taking the time to explain all of this Bullet.

for reference:

95 rail=return line and FPR on rail
96-97 rail=no return line and no FPR on rail
98-99 rail=same as 96-97 except the test port is in a different spot

Anyways thanks for clearing this up.

Alright, despite what any service manual may say, the fuel rail that has an fpr located on the rail is a fuel rail for the 95. The 96 and up have an fpr located in back by the rear tire. I have yet to see a 96 that has had an fpr located on the rail (there are "whispers" out there about a few early year 96's having an fpr located on the rail. But there is zero evidence of this. All I have heard is people have "heard" about the possibility, LOL). I have owned two 96's and both have had the fpr in the rear (yeah, that oughta be proof enough LOL).
MB

the return fuel rail were only on OBD1 420a's.

Is this my fuel pressure regulator on top?
If so what do I need to do about the rail? I want everything done right.

Attachments

• 2012-03-03 11.33.18.jpg
    2012-03-03 11.33.18.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 69
I would simply replace your existing rail with a 96 and up rail (no fpr on the fuel rail). As long as your fpr on the fuel filter is working properly (yes its the one in the pic you posted), you will be all set. It will bolt right on to the feed line you have in the engine bay.

Cleaner nicer and updated properly.

MB

Well I looked everywhere in my town and all the parts store and I can't find one. All the salvage and junk yards done have any Eclipses. I looked on Andy's and they just have them for the turbo. I looked on eBay and found this one.
OBX Fuel Rail 95-99 Mitsubishi Eclipse Non-Turbo RS GS | eBay
Will this work on my car?

Or can anyone tell me a a good fuel rail to get

Last edited by a moderator:
So I swapped the 420A from a 1996 RS into my 1998 RS and I'm stumped is there a vacuum line for the FPR that's supposed to hook on the third nipple on the three way off of the IM. I have the EGR on one the cruise control on another and one empty (currently blocked off), but pictures of my 98 before show 3 connected with the odd one out it running down the back near the firewall, in the 96 it was connected to a metal brace that brings it and out on the left front by the thermostat. I'm quite confused I just got it all back together but I want it right, if it is supposed to be connected somewhere can someone point me in the right direction with a photo of its location on the firewall? since i believe the FPR itself is located back by the fuel tank.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back