The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Reviving an old 2g (hopefully)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I drove the DSM and made some light mods immediately after purchase.

Fmic, 16g, 1,000ccs, ECMlink, 3 port boost solenoid etc.

I was driving it home from cars and coffee one day having some good fun on the freeway when I saw my temp gauge absolutely skyrocket. Just as I suspected, it was a head gasket. When I pulled over and pulled the rad cap to check and fill if needed it was blowing tiny bubbles while it was running and getting unreal hot. Got it home and in my garage and in the process of pulling the head off noticed one of the Nuts came right off the stud with almost hand right effort. I did not install the ARPs and suspect they weren’t re-torqued after a short period of time as they should have been.

Here’s where I think the head lifted and let combustion gasses into the coolant system

A54F57E6-FFBE-4F7C-9C96-96C68A5765A7.jpeg

(Apologies for multiple posts quickly, figured I’d break up the content as it makes sense)

At this point I made the decision to rebuild the bottom end, i figure why not just go pretty all out with the bottom end so anything I want to do later does not get complicated with having to give the car a rotating assembly down the line.

I’ve pulled the engine and have it on the stand, the firewall mat was removed and much of the wiring has been taken out, the overall goal is a 600+hp awd street car with AC, but step one is a clean engine bay and a built 7 bolt still on the 16g, so I can enjoy the car again and simply fund upgrades to move my HP numbers up

Obligatory photos

89F87DEA-466A-410B-BF8F-839647C4E0F3.jpeg

35AEF2F6-DE41-4B7D-9F14-84A2D7B7AAD7.jpeg

(Yes that’s a 302 bottom end in an e30, my roommates current project)

E7D15896-EC6A-4751-80BE-59029157ECF7.jpeg

Next to get touched was the wiring, I want everything as clean as possible I decided on top of relocating the fuse box and the battery figured I’d route the engine harness as clean as possible and take off all the old convoluted tubing and soft rubber sheathing that was now solid plastic. It got replaced with braided sheathing and self vulcanizing tape wherever possible, shrink tubing and electrical tape where they HAD to be used

Next to get this treatment will be the fuse box harness, pictured here next to the cleaned engine harness

4F1DB36B-3ABD-4BF5-8134-AC2366CAF5AB.jpeg

Last edited:
Next to be removed was the interior, I’m going to re-do my wiring for the gauges. The first time around I cut corners and it was not up to my standard. Dash came out, I’m going to do the heater core/ evaporator/ expansion valve while they’re easy to get to. Harness bar as well as a run the wires for the speakers. Going to replace all the speakers with better ones and install 2 10 or 12” subs in a carpeted plate where the back seats used to be. I’ve never had a “comfortable” car so this ones getting the works. Full creature comforts

B4A020EB-2502-4024-A533-EF2431FB5FD7.jpeg

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back