The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Revised 7-bolt main bearings in older 7-bolt?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSM IN MN

Supporting VIP
May 17, 2009
Wadena, Minnesota
I have read one thread somewhat pertaining to this. It threw me for a loop however because it was for a 4g64 out of a Galant rather than just a 4g63.

Any who, I plan on starting a semi-build for the engine to swap into my Talon in the near future (a year or less hopefully). What I am a tad confused about is what main bearings I want, should and can use.

As of right now I have a block out of an Evo. III. The engine that is in my Talon is the original, to my knowledge at least. The car is a 1995 with a 1994 build date. Originally I had planned to use the Evo. block as the block everything will go into. Then from there I could just (in theory), swap it over. Lately I have been wondering if I could use different main bearings in the Evo. block to avoid the possible crank walk issue found in the earlier 7-bolts (1995-1996).

I know the issue came up because (as far as I know), people would install clutches that had too heavy of clamping force which in turn would push the crank so much so that it would wear down the thrust washers. Which then would allow the crank to move, eventually destroying everything.

In 1997 they moved to the one piece thrust washer/main bearing design. This improved or got rid of the threat of crank walk or at least this is what I understand. I recently have read that Mitsubishi revised this setup/design again in 1998-1999 though.

So after all of this, what I am wondering is, is which bearings can I run in my (Evo. III) block? Do I have to stick with the earlier multi-piece thrust washer/main bearing design, or can I switch to the 1997 or 1998-1999 single piece setup?

No, you have to use the main bearings the block was machined for.

The 98-99 block and main girdle are machined slightly differently to use the three piece thrust main. The issue with the three piece thrust main bearing in a pre 97 block is the two "new/separated" parts of the thrust bearing wouldn't have a surface to prevent rotation and would rotate with the crank.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back