The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

reving on a stock 4g63T

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4BangerV8Killer

Banned Member
Aug 25, 2004
San Martin, California
my engine is basically stock iv got a newly rebuilt head and an act 2600 and free mods thats about it. when im racing whats a safe rpm to shift at? iv been shifting at like 6.5 scared to even hit the redline becuase of past blown engine :rolleyes: so whats a safe rpm to shift at?

If you have the T-25, I've found shifting at about 5.5 to 6 to be the best for power, it seems like the small turbo just can't push past that.

its really up to you, I've had friends bounce of the rev limiter, and then theres me who doesn't feel like seeing how far i can push my lil 7 bolt till it pops. 6500rpm is fine to shift at, especially if you still have the stock turbo...at that rpm its not going to keep flowing more if you go all the way to 7k

Travi§

CanadianTSi said:
6500-7000 should be good for a 14b.

On a side note I revved my bone stock 220,000 kms engine to 9500 once...whoops :D
(its fine BTW)

Ya 6500-7000 sounds good to me as well, basically shift when you feel you've lost alot of the torque & the car isn't really pulling anymore. FYI I once also missed a shift to 4th, hit 2nd. I let out the clutch, & noticed I was in the wrong gear right away, put the clutch back in. It still hit 8600 rpms but didn't cause any damage. When I asked about this before alot of guys said they had overreved before & didn't cause any damage.

daren_p said:
Ya 6500-7000 sounds good to me as well, basically shift when you feel you've lost alot of the torque & the car isn't really pulling anymore. FYI I once also missed a shift to 4th, hit 2nd. I let out the clutch, & noticed I was in the wrong gear right away, put the clutch back in. It still hit 8600 rpms but didn't cause any damage. When I asked about this before alot of guys said they had overreved before & didn't cause any damage.
Ya im pretty sure its fine to rev it a little high once and a while.

when my old Laser was in the body shop, they gave my a geo metro 5 spd, and I was goin down the highway and put it in second instead of fourth and it was just burried in the red and she took it fine and that was a geo. and im sure still running strong :p .

it probably won't cause any problems... but me and about 5 other people who PMed me developed rod knock about 1-3 weeks after an overrev. This may be coincidental, but keep your ears open

Quick question guys. If our cars have rev limiters, how come you can still over rev them? I have hit 7600 rpms once while racing (according to the afc) but if theres a rev limiter at 7500, shouldnt the revs stop there and just bounce?

"If it wasn't safe to shift at redline, Mitsubishi engineers would have lowered redline and/or limited RPM"

If you make a comment like that and Mitsu had the redline @ 5000k people still wouldn't be happy. As for redline, that is when the valves start to "float"?

Get a set of camshafts and you'll be good to 7500k + :thumb:

olmytsi said:
Quick question guys. If our cars have rev limiters, how come you can still over rev them? I have hit 7600 rpms once while racing (according to the afc) but if theres a rev limiter at 7500, shouldnt the revs stop there and just bounce?
All a rev limiter is is the ECU cutting spark at a certain RPM. If you go into 2nd gear at 100mph the engine will over-rev regardless of whether it is getting fuel or spark due to the sheer mechanical ascpect of it.

evolvingGS-t said:
"If it wasn't safe to shift at redline, Mitsubishi engineers would have lowered redline and/or limited RPM"

If you make a comment like that and Mitsu had the redline @ 5000k people still wouldn't be happy. As for redline, that is when the valves start to "float"?

Get a set of camshafts and you'll be good to 7500k + :thumb:

Cams don't make valves float. springs do!

you can rev stock cams up past redline, you just need better springs. thats the key part to the head, and you need reliable retainers to keep the springs on.

this is a good post, i've learned alot.. i rev'd to 8 by accident a few times by missing 2nd gear and still stomping throttle.. and my car backfired hard, but since its cutting spark after 7500 that makes sense now. i dont *think* i did any damage, but i still get paranoid that its not pulling as hard as it used to.. maybe a burned some valves?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back