The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Review: KYB GR2

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

These units seem to catch a lot of flak and I'm not so sure it is deserving. I realize there is a large group of individuals whom desire the $1400.00 suspension kits which are adjustable 7 ways to Sunday, however, if you are looking for something to replace your stock setup with a bit more beef, the GR2's are perfect.

My goals were fairly simple. While changing my rims, I had discovered the rear shock housings were completely ruined. The passenger side had fluid leaking and of course the handling was horrid. I needed something that would not only give me a slightly better than stock feel, but also fit my budget. I found what I was looking for in the form of KYB's GR2 shocks. I also had decided that while I was performing the replacement, I would change out the rubber components in the upper strut mounts.

After researching prices at the common online vendors and checking the SensaTrac prices at Napa, I decided on ordering from the Tire Rack. I was able to order all four shocks and matching strut mount kits for $304.00 shipped to my door. Additionally, I saved another $10.00 by going through FatWallet.com bringing my purchase to about $294.00. Just incase you aren't familiar, FatWallet.com offers 3.5% cashback at TireRack and multiple discounts/cashback options at many other online vendors.

The installation was pretty painless. I wanted to take some photos of the process for a detailed how-to however, I ended up doing it myself in about 2 hours (rear struts and mounts only).

The packaging came with the basics. The struts had a lock-nut and thats about it. The mount hardware came with everything but the actual strut mount plate and nuts. Nothing really special about either case but since this is a review, I felt obliged to inform. One thing I will mention here is that I was very anal about greasing every contact point on both the strut and the mounting plate. This wasn't really required but if you have ever had a squeaky suspension, you understand my preventive maintenance. I used Valvoline Blue which is my defacto standard.

The fit was perfect and the struts accepted the stock springs with ease. I didn't notice any slop or mis-alignment and it was nice to see a clean, silver tube in place of my wrecked stock units.

The ride was immediately noticeable. Of course the "thump" I used to hear on the passenger side was long gone and the bouncing of the rear-end of the car also went away. Driving daily on Pennsylvania roads made these new units feel even better. Handling has also become a joy. The ability to dig into a corner has returned as well as a tight feel when quick direction change is required.

Overall, these shocks are great. For those that argue, please consider your goals versus mine. If you are looking to lower or adjust your suspension, look elsewhere. If you are in need of a solid unit that performs well and won't encourage you to mortgage your house, consider the GR2's.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Tripper

Attachments

• kyb_group2_md.jpg
    kyb_group2_md.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 21,737
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back