The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

Reverse Poping out of gear and sometimes not going in

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Talon00b

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 30, 2005
London, Ontario_Canada
I just replaced the tranny and it worked on the last guy that had it so I dont think that could be the problem but I replaced the rubber busings with metal ones as well... now when I go put it in gear from nutreal to reverse I hear this winding noise when I give it gas But if i got First to reverse It useally goes in with no problem
Another thing is sometimes it'll be in reverse and it will pop out and make that winding noise also...
Some people said sine I took the tranny out hey said I probably turned the cable around and now i gotta ajust it in the shifter consol... is this true?

any help would be great its kinda getting annoying

but how would I do that? how would I know what ones to ajust? just dont wanna make more harm then good. Also is there a tech article I couldent find helping me in this situation?

I really wish I would have taken pictures when I did this. I would suggest that you check proper shift cable adjustment. I would also check their condition. More side to side than front to back. Pull the consone apart to get to the shifter, you will see 2 cables one on the left (side to side) and one to the right (front to back). You will want to adjust the left one. First put the trans in neutal. Take the cotter pin out and take the washer off then line up the hole in the cable to the pin on the shift arm. You should be directly in line with the pin. Adjust the cable so it slide on the pin easily. You should not have to move the shifter, or cable to get it back on. If your cables are in good condition then this might help your problem. If not than it might be something internal in your transmission. Good luck!

Here is a VFAQ article for adjusting shifter linkage at the shifter base. I am actually in the process right at this moment of making a "full" shifter cable removal/installation/adjustment tech guide for this site, so look for that within the next few days. But this should help you get started. http://vfaq.com/mods/shifter3.html

Given the problems you're describing, you should be focusing more on the side/side movement than front/back. If adjusting cables at the shifter base does not fix the problem, we can move onto the transaxle end, but for now, verify that no foreign object is impeding the movement of the shifter cables under the hood (like a group of wires, fallen MBC, rogue heater or vac hoses, etc) - that's a common problem as well.

How is 5th gear?

Also, are you sure that you have correctly mated shifter, cables, and transaxle bracket? Improperly mated combos will cause all sorts of weird problems (i.e. if you have a 1990 transmission, but try to use shifter cables from a 1991+, this will not work - etc)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back