The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

Reverse grind

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

20psi

20+ Year Contributor
Apr 22, 2002
TowsonMD
Here's my problem. Every time I put my car in reverse it grinds or I get a clunk. I also grind into 3rd if I'm getting on it.My biggest problem is reverse, it seems the warmer or longer the car is driven the worse my problem gets (reverse).HELP

The reason for your grind into gears is the synchro assembly is worn out. But your probably going to find more things worn out, bearings, gears and other synchro assemblys, when you or a shop tears it down. The reason the trans doesnt grind(or grind as bad) when its cold is because the fluid is thicker and it protects better, when it becomes hot it gets thinner. Anyway its time for a rebuild.

for a temporary solution (just not to grind), put in 1st gear, then to reverse. This tends to solve the problem with my reverse gear for me. but i'm getting my tranny rebuild next month.

In most transmissions your reverse doesn't have a synchro, so it's necessary to place the trans. into 1st gear before hitting reverse, otherwise it will usually grind.

mine seem to pop out of reverse. other then that no other problumes so far.

this is not true your trans does have a reverse sychro.

what i do is, step on the brake all the way and the clutch all the way and put it into reverse, it usually goes in perfect then, i dunno why, but when i don't do that, it does grind

Because reverse is done with an actual moving gear (and no synchro's), the car and the intermediate shaft must both be stopped for the gear teeth to match up. This is most commonly a problem if a person wants to go into reverse after the car has been idling in neutral. If one just pushes down the clutch pedal and shifts into reverse, it will grind.

One approach is to simply wait a couple of seconds after pushing down the clutch pedal so that the intermediate shaft can come to a halt before shifting into reverse. To do it faster, you can push down the clutch, shift briefly into one of the forward gears (using its synchro to slow down the intermediate shaft) and then shift instantly into reverse.

To instantly get into reverse after braking in a hard stop (such as when driving a gyrnkhana course), leave the transmission in the forward gear you were in. At the moment you get to zero speed, the lever can be thrown into reverse (because the intermediate shaft was halted when it was engaged to the last gear), and power can then be immediately applied

The reverse has an idler gear, I recently had my tranny apart to replace a broken 3/4 fork and rail. My reverse gear had some wear on the bottom of the teeth. It used to pop out all the time. Ever since I put it back together for some reason it works fine now:confused:
I always put it into a forward gear before going into reverse. Never really tried having it in neutral with clutch down for a few seconds though.

Attachments

• reverse idler.jpg
    reverse idler.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 187
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back