The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Reverse glo gauges

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

91TSI505

20+ Year Contributor
Jan 10, 2003
Albuquerque, New_Mexico
I just recently installed some reverse glo gauges in my 91TSI,wired them up to my boost and oil temp gauges(Aftermarket) and i can't get them to light up,now i think its just a wiring problem.Here is what i got,a power inverter with three things coming out of it minus the wires that go to the gauges,first is a RED wire second is BLACK wire and third is a dimmer switch with an open prong.This how i have it wired up now,RED wire going to the same power source i have other gauges wired to,BLACK wire going to a ground,I did not do anything to the dimmer switch.If anyone has ran into this problem before or knows something i did wrong please let me know how to fix it,any info or help would be appreciated,Thanks:talon:

Well, my indiglos came with just 2 wires, so I cant be positive, however, usually when you have a 3 wire setup... the red is to the battery, black to ground, and the other to a switched source. So, I would think that the "dimmer" wire you say, should be the wire hooked up to the aftermarket gauge's power source, and the red wire connected to the battery. (your aftermarket gauges come on with the lights right?)

Originally posted by Coldandafraid
Well, my indiglos came with just 2 wires, so I cant be positive, however, usually when you have a 3 wire setup... the red is to the battery, black to ground, and the other to a switched source. So, I would think that the "dimmer" wire you say, should be the wire hooked up to the aftermarket gauge's power source, and the red wire connected to the battery. (your aftermarket gauges come on with the lights right?)

Right

Originally posted by Coldandafraid
what exactly do the instuctions call the three wires?

Thats my main problem,No instructions

OK i tried wiring them up again and no luck,i did some researching and found out that the switch that i am talking about is some kind of color changing dial,so i have the red wire hooked up to the same power source i have my boost gauge hooked up to and the black wire grounded and the dial has an extra little prong on it(I tried grounding it and powering it nothing)so still nothing.I am really frustrated with this project and i don't think i can return the gauges,If anyone can help me with this that would be great,Thanks:talon:

here is the instructions i received:

1. Remove the screws of the upper dashboard
2. Take out the whole set of dashboard & disconnect the back wires cluster
3. Remove the transparent plastic cover of the dashboard
4. Remove all the screws from the original gauge face
5. Carefully slide in the luminous dials onto the surface of the original
gauges without removing the gauges needles
6. To aim at the luminous dial and screw back. (Do not over tight to avoid
short circuit)
7. Carefully put the transparent plastic cover back.
8. Connect the wires to the headlight power supply. (red sire for positive
electrode; black wire for negative electrode)
9. Connect all the wires of luminous dials to the inverter. (Find a suitable
area to install the adjustable switch)

Now what is a negitive electrode?And where can i find it?

well theres really only one thing I can think of for that third wire if in fact it IS a dimmer switch. You know how your stereo backlighting dims when you turn on the headlights? well the gauges might do the same thing.....ultra bright during the day then when you actually turn on your headlights, they'll dim a little so they don't burn your retinas. try hooksing that third wide up to the dimmer wire beding your head unit.

And did the gauges come with a color changer switch or dial or knob or whatever? and how does that hook into it all?

i think its a color changing switch.its all ran through a power inverter,the gauges hook up to the inverter then there are three things coming out of the inverter..The dimmer,and two wires(Red and Black)

so the switch or knob or whatever came with the kit?

I just did mine and I found a VFAQ for a 1g install. I wired mine to the fog light switch. They come on with the lights and I have no problems. I wired the boost, egt, and volt gauge lights to the factory dimmer dial. Search for the 1g vfaq, it's better than some others.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back