The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

rev limiter

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chadkassinger

Proven Member
Jul 30, 2013
Owensboro, Kentucky
In neutral my rev limiter is somewhere around 7500 and if I rev it in gear with clutch pushed in at a stop it only goes to 5000 rpm why is that? It will go past 5k if I'm actually driving but if my I'm stopped and rev it while the car is in 1st it only revs to 5k

Its kinda like the evo launch control. If the clutch is pressed down the car won't rev over 5k but if I'm in neutral or say haulin ass it will go all the way to the 7500k rev limiter

Is it hitting a rev limiter at 5K or do the car just not want to rev past 5K?

Do you have DSMLink on the car or an ignition amplifier?

What do you have done to the car?

It goes to 5k and cuts off I have never held the gas down to see if it bounces LOL but like I said if I'm driving it it goes all the way to 7500k rev limiter it only stops at 5k if I am reving it with clutch engaged. And I'm not sure about the dsmlink when I first bought the car the guy said it was chipped but I don't know. All that is done to the car to my knowledge is bov,upper if pipe, greedy muffler, bcs restrictor removed a couple other little things I have done.

And also once is actually hits the 5k mark and bounces off the car kindu jerks forward just barely

You said two different things. Foot all the way to the floor is DISENGAGED.

I'll assume you meant that it won't rev past 5K with your foot all the way down too the floor and the clutch disengaged.

The first thing you need to do is put it in neutral set the parking brake and see if it will rev past 5K with your foot off the pedal and the clutch fully engaged.

Some rev limiters use the clutch switch to turn them on and off and if you have a burnt chip in your ECU with a set rev limiter to 5K to either cut fuel or ignition than the clutch switch is probably what is doing this.

The reason that the car runs normally when the car is moving is some launch controllers/ rev limiters are set to turn off at a certain MPH as well.

If I rev it in neutral With my foot off the clutch and the ebrake on it revs to 7500k or so Like normal Now if I have the clutch pushed all the way to the floor it won't rev past 5k

But I have looked in my ecu and it didn't seem to be chipped But it could be

Well it has a rev limiter on it.

Next you can check to see if it is the top switch or the bottom switch by just pressing the clutch switches one at time while reving it or just check to see if it does it if you push slightly down on the clutch or if your foot has to be completely pressed down.

Then you'll know which switch it is and you can just unplug it if it pisses you off. (for off road use only.)

One of them is a neutral safety switch so if you unplug it the car can start in gear witch can be unsafe.

So its more than likely just a rev limiter on it that someone has set up in the past or is it like a launch a launch control? It doesn't bother me I don't need to rev it past 5k anyways setting still so it can be For my safety LOL

Someone setup launch control when they had a chip burned for it most likely.

Launch control is basically a rev limiter set up to hold a set RPM when you are stopped.

It's just used to build boost while standing still and get consistent launches.

I would probably just leave it alone for now if it doesn't bother you, but at least now you know what is going on. :thumb:

Ill do it in the morning and see what happens don't want to wake up the neighbors LOL. There already pretty pissed from earlier I'm sure. Thanks guys ill update this in the morning

ok guys I don't know what happened but its not doing it anymore LOL. my car did it less than a month ago but now when I try it it dosent happen

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back