The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

reusing main studs?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSMer541

10+ Year Contributor
Apr 27, 2009
Eugene, Oregon
well im just wondering if any one has re-used there stock main studs when rebuilding, or if anyone has ever had any problems after re-using them...im in the middle of a rebuild and i already had the block bored and the crank polished and new acl bearings,eagle rods,wossner pistons ,and put a new cylinder head on , but now im kinda woried about reusing the mains ..... it would probly be pretty easy to take them out and put new ones in since the oil pan has not been seeld on yet. ...... but i just wanted to get some feedback...thanx

If you buy new ones you are supposed to have the mains align honed.

Then again, there is a debate about this in our community.

I personally just mic everything. I currently run ARP mains with no align hone. AMS says its not necessary, my local machine shops say its not necessary.

There is no harm in reusing the stock ones provided they didnt stretch.

well im just wondering if any one has re-used there stock main studs when rebuilding, or if anyone has ever had any problems after re-using them...im in the middle of a rebuild and i already had the block bored and the crank polished and new acl bearings,eagle rods,wossner pistons ,and put a new cylinder head on , but now im kinda woried about reusing the mains ..... it would probly be pretty easy to take them out and put new ones in since the oil pan has not been seeld on yet. ...... but i just wanted to get some feedback...thanx

Never had a problem with reusing stock main studs!! Like above post states if you buy new after market (ARP) then block has to be aligned honed. Just my $.02:thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back