The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

2G Reusing Main bearing cap bolts?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xaveion

Probationary Member
May 8, 2020
Poteau, Oklahoma
I have a 98 GST 7 bolt engine I’m rebuilding and I was wondering if I can reuse my crank main bearing cap bolts, I’ve heard different things about reusing them and just wanted to get my own answers. Thanks

The factory service manual doesn’t note these as “never re-use”, as it would for, say, o-rings or cotter pins. I would re-use them if it were the first rebuild on a stock motor that will remain stock in terms of power level, and if there were no serious issues with the old main bearings. If it was the second rebuild, or power was or will be increased much above factory, then I would not risk it. Plenty of folks go with ARP bolts or studs for high-power builds as standard.

Check the under head length. The original length of 7 bolt main bolt is 70.0mm, the limit is 71.1mm. Do not reuse if it is exceeded the limit or if it is close to the limit.. You can reuse it if the UHL is within the limit, but anyways it's cheap, so replacing would be also a good idea even if it's still within the limit or if you are unsure.
https://www.extremepsi.com/store/OEM-Main-Bolts-Mitsubishi-Eclipe-92-99-7-Bolt.html

Oh cap bolts, this time around im on arps, i misread the question he posted, this i my first built engine but i have reused 6 bolts, though.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back