1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

Retaining A\C after alternator relocation

Posted by lars y, Apr 19, 2017

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support VR-Speed Factory
  1. lars y

lars y Proven Member

Joined Oct 11, 2007
    Halden, Europe
    After installing a new turbo i need to relocate the alternator to get enough room for my downpipe.
    I was thinking of getting the alternator relocation kit that uses the a\c spot, but i also want to retain some a\c in my car, is there a way for me to do this?

Are there some electronic a\c compressor i could install?

What about the compressor unit from a Nissan Leaf? http://www.ebay.com/itm/11-15-NISSA...SSOR-926001MG0A-USE-1-000-MILES-/252067304036 would something like this work?

Thank you

1K  0

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    manual · 2G DSM
  2. spyderdrifter

spyderdrifter Freelancer

Joined Jul 11, 2009
    Fountain, Colorado
    If you try to relocate the oem unit, you'll obviously need to keep it belt driven, plus extend the hard lines for it, plus, you'll be back in the same situation that caused you to want to move the alternator, but worse off. If you can adapt an electric a/c unit, you could essentially place it almost anywhere you have space for it. You'll just need to have hard line custom made for it all to work. The one from the Leaf, actually looks like a good candidate for such a conversion. If you do it, document all steps and take a bunch of pictures to share with the rest of us. More and more people might do it in the future.

830  2

1996 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 2G DSM

1K  3

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 2G DSM

1K  5

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse N/T
    automatic · 2G DSM
  3. SAKJR

SAKJR Probationary Member

Joined Nov 2, 2015
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    You might want to double check what voltage the Nissan Leaf compressor is meant to run on. Most hybrids use electric a/c compressors , but they are typically 24 or 36 volt. This requires a power convertor. Electric compressors off of a hybrid also use a different refrigerant oil than a normal R134A system. The oil is designed to prevent the high voltage from shorting out through the compressor housing. If you are going to attempt this I would recommend replacing the receiver/dryer at the same time and flushing the rest of your system before installing an electric compressor and charging the system.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017

Street Build 476  1

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GST
    fwd · automatic · 2G DSM
    spyderdrifter likes this.