The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Street Build Resurrection of the Red 90 Talon

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Well I did my best to dial in the idle and cruise and the car is running around stoich so that's good but she feels a bit lean. I will have more time in the days to come but in my venture down the road and back, she did feel AMAZING. I saw 35 lbs of boost max but not at WOT, just getting out of 5 o'clock traffic.
Boy did that feel GREAT. A good tune and this car is going to get me the goal I searched for, just a 10.xxxx slip.
Stay "tuned'!!! :D

Oh man...it shifts great. It has all the stock parts that we decided it needed and I can report that so far, it acts like a transmission should. I can't thank you and Tim enough to give me the COURAGE and KNOWLEDGE to crack it open and take care of what I could see that didn't look right. Let's hope it continues to do its job after I replaced syncros and keys, springs etc. plus the new rebushinged shifter. :thumb:🙏 . Thank you so much!

Oh man...it shifts great. It has all the stock parts that we decided it needed and I can report that so far, it acts like a transmission should. I can't thank you and Tim enough to give me the COURAGE and KNOWLEDGE to crack it open and take care of what I could see that didn't look right. Let's hope it continues to do its job after I replaced syncros and keys, springs etc. plus the new rebushinged shifter. :thumb:🙏 . Thank you so much!
I remember doing my honda trans... new parts and solid shift bushings made it shift like a video game... bet it feels amazing!

It is unnoticeable if that makes sense. I had to drive it a bit hard because of stupid traffic but I didn't even think about the shift interchange and it was smooth. :thumb:
So far....no hating! ;)🤞

She is fun and definitely grips Jeremy!
5 Stars!!!!!
Getting the car moving is the trick, after that its smooth. There is like 1" between not engaged and engaged on the pedal so that is the tricky part. It has a stiff pedal but nothing that I am not used to from way back in the day! :thumb:
I will need to get the NLTS hooked up and dialed in after the tune is smoothed out and she is running correctly.

When it has a reasonable tune, it will be posted. Boy, I can't wait for that!!!! :cool:
She's happy with 35 lbs of boost that's for sure!

Well my "town" cruise went well tonite. No hood made it kinda stand out. Motor likes boost, transmission shifts smoothly, other than a good tune, she is ready to rock more than the 35 lbs of boost she has seen in the 30 miles of breakin driving so far :cool:

I'm TRYING!!!!! 3 weeks ago she was a dead shell. ROFL I feel pretty good about her for bein an old man! :thumb: More tuning this weekend as long as weather cooperates.

I like your style Marty:cool:. I remember ripping on my motor at 50 miles with just 27 psi wastegate on break in LOL. What kind of airflow are you seeing on that thing at 35psi? How much more is in it do you think?

58.1 lb/m is the most I have flowed so far at 8800 rpm. She has 44 lbs of boost in her so another 10 lbs still waiting to be called upon.

EDIT: Looked back and found 65.4 lb/m at 7895 rpm at about 102 mph on a different pull at 31 lbs/boost.. :cool:

Last edited:
I won't run my Holset past 44-45. 40 is my normal target for this compressor Jeremy.
For anyone else following along this build:
Yes, the motor has 30 miles on it as of now.
Yes, I am running 30-35 lbs/boost.
Yes, I HAVE turned it to 8800 so far.
Yes, I plan on running 40 lbs/boost.
Just want the thread to be clear.
Target boost - 40
Target Max RPM - 9500
Target ET - 10.9xxxxx
Anything OVER target will just make me GRIN!!!! :p

Not scared anymore.....I know the engine guy! Man this one winged right up to 8800 and I didn't know it until I was reviewing logs that should be break in logs.....OMG:) and the 35 lbs boost. I didn't look at anything really good until today. I was surprised. I know it FELT like 35 lbs of boost.
We're on Boost said:
Ahaa, that might be mostly why you decided to go with the twin disk clutch?

That would be a correct statement, also I needed MORE clutch as I had no idea what I had built back then. I just figured "it's a 4 cylinder" Oh how wrong I was!!!

Last edited:
Well I had to put miles on the motor ya know since it only has about 30 on it so my son and I drove it another 25 or so today and I will try to drive it to work 30 mins/30 miles one way a few days this week to seal the rings but she is running pretty good at WOT. Cruise is getting played with today and tomorrow.
I can say the car feels like what it shows and I am seeing numbers above 500 so I think its gonna work. Crossing fingers still of course. Clutch is working great.
I had to move her limiter up too.
Thanks for following and stay TUNED!!!
:):cool:
Marty

Well I had to put miles on the motor ya know since it only has about 30 on in so my son and I drove it another 25 or so today and I will try to drive it to work 30 mins/30 miles one way a few days this week to seal the rings but she is running pretty good at WOT. Cruise is getting played with today and tomorrow.
I can say the car feels like what it shows and I am seeing numbers above 500 so I think its gonna work. Crossing fingers still of course. Clutch is working great.
I had to move her limiter up too.
Thanks for following and stay TUNED!!!
:):cool:
Marty
Seal em on the dyno!

Well in Southeast KS there isn't any dyno that I can find. I would tho!
I'd love to see dyno #'s. I'll have to settle with playing at the local (1hr drive) track for time slips.
I think the compressor is about at its limit at 65lbs/m peak.
The rest is on the DRIVER!!!

Pizza run day. If it's even "considered" a street car, its gotta get pizza!
I am happy with the car, she is turning tires in 3rd (don't worry, the pizza made it home unscathed!) so she feels really good. Did some cruise tuning yesterday and it needs some more dialing in but her WOT feels fantastic so I'm gonna leave it alone unless a pro wants to tweak it.
I'll try to get some video.....he has been busy on HIS car and running my laptop while I collect data and only has 2 hands. They are 2 GOOD HANDS!!!
Thank you all for the support and following along!
Marty

I have seen a max of 65 lbs/m at 8800 so far on the @JusMX141 HX40 turbo. She is doing her job quite well! Thanks Jus! :cool:
I need to clean her up now, she's a full weight, comfortable car!!!

Screenshot_20230326-150810_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230326-150746_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230326-150756_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230326-150854_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230326-083245_Gallery.jpg

20230326_162520.jpg

20230326_162544.jpg

20230326_162550.jpg

20230326_162612.jpg

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back