The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

Street Build Resurrection of the Red 90 Talon

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Regular 1g 1990 coil. It ALWAYS just laid around in the engine bay so I decided it was way past time to mount it. A 1990 coil has an extra "tacho" module on it but I was able to mount it UP using one of the stock tabs and a boss on the manifold. A normal EvoIII coil bracket faces the coil sideways. I have seen some coils mounted in the up position but I don't like the wires going up into the hood.

Well the car DOES START!!!
I tried for about 10 minutes to prime the engine. I even used a oiler to push oil down the turbo feed and into the pump to help.....still no pressure. My son said "well we could start it and see if it picks up" so I agreed, reluctantly, but by God it fired and made pressure so YA!!!!
It is running on cylinders 1 and 3. 2 and 4 are dead so I will be checking plugs and wires. I did put a few squirts of oil in each cylinder so maybe just fouled plugs but when is a DSM issue ever that easy to fix???
More to come.
SUGGESTIONS WELCOME!!!
Pops :)

I took pictures of all of the fluids we put in yesterday so here is a shot :)
That took a good hour and a half.

20230302_214901.jpg

20230309_111633.jpg

She wasn't dry but I put in a different transfer case and it was along with the trans that I tried to fix and hope it is. Motor was dry too. Only thing left with fluid was the rear dif. It still had Redline HD Shock but I replaced all of it.
Clutch Master and Brake Master all got fresh fluid along with the Power Steering system, which we put new orings on also. :thumb:

Ok all, here is the post we have ALL BEEN WAITING FOR!!!
:thumb:
:cool:
:D

I want to thank all of you for putting up with this thread and giving me ENCOURAGEMENT the whole time (6 years since I heard this sound!).
Lots of blood, sweat, tears, beers and MONEY, but god this is a BEAUTIFUL sound!
I still have to set base timing and look at the tune. My son and I had just started tuning the 2150's when it went down in 2017. For not even CHECKING the tune, I am STOKED!!!!
Hoping for more FUN to come and getting the car just driveable.
Marty

Thanks guys. Stupid phone died so I'm on my WM backup phone. Guess I should have spent the money on a PHONE:banghead::hmm:
The belts are tight, the wheels are on and the twin disk has been tested while it was on the lift w/o wheels. Noisy but works!
Derek, have TWO for me! :thumb:
Marty

Just eye candy for me....
Fan timer mounted and wired up. Wheels on. Belts tight. Fluids good. Clutch check went fine.
Now.....TAGS. I forgot about those.....hmmm :idontknow::ohdamn::f-u:

20230311_184701.jpg

20230311_184557.jpg

20230311_184621.jpg

20230311_184630.jpg

20230311_184852.jpg

Thanks man!
My little brother (RIP) used to drive a Black over Red 79 Camaro RS and when we found this car, the color just popped to me. I wish he would have got to see this one :)
Let's get these 2 Red/Black DSMs together! Now I need to keep you encouraged!
Marty

As usual thanks for the motivation, I need to get to work. And who says you need a license plate for a quick beer run down the road to make sure everything is working!
I can sure agree with that! ROFL
What's the fan timer do?
I have another video coming to show it Vegas. It does like Sean said, I hit the key and it delays the fans coming on immediately when I am trying to start the car. Works especially good when your car is HOT and you pull over to let her cool down then the very 1st things that come on when you go to restart it is those dual, 20 amp VAMPIRES, sucking the amps out of the battery.
I'll get the demo posted up soon. :thumb:
I just interrupt the ground to the temp sensor and hold it for 15 seconds before it activates the fan relays, if they are demanded on by the temp sensor. If the temp sensor doesn't say to start the fans then nothing out of the normal happens. :)

Lots of blood, sweat, tears, beers and MONEY, but god this is a BEAUTIFUL sound!
I still have to set base timing and look at the tune.

It's sounding good already! Having the engine running good and solid at low revs and idle will make it a lot easier to get used to the clutch.
That's actually the main thing that struck me about the latest YouTube video from LegitStreetCars (March 11). They were having a heck of a time driving it but I think 90% of their trouble was just with the engine running crappy at low revs.

I tried for about 10 minutes to prime the engine. I even used a oiler to push oil down the turbo feed and into the pump to help.....still no pressure. My son said "well we could start it and see if it picks up" so I agreed, reluctantly, but by God it fired and made pressure so YA!!!!

Every time I hear this problem I think of the old engines with distributers, where the oil pump was driven by the distributer shaft. You could make up a piece of round rod with a slot in the end, pull the distributer out, stick the rod in there and run the oil pump with a drill motor. Are your small block Chevy motors still made that way?

It's a sweet sound (of success)!
The clutch was noisy when I tested to see if I could put it into gear, but only sounded like twin disks floating while disengaged. I was able to spin all 4 hubs while it was on the lift so I made sure while my foot was on the floor, that I could get the trans into all forward gears and I was able to do that. I only let the clutch out in first to turn those rusty rotors a few spins. I put it back into neutral and things were "normal" (no odd sounds anyway). I have never ran a twin disk clutch but I think they are either engaged or not. You will all be surprised WHY I was testing the clutch. It wasn't really THAT I was testing, it was the clutch HYDRAULICS. The old slave had pushed its plunger out of the bore and fluid was everywhere when I noticed it after moving the car from the yard to the shop. My helper may have accidentally touched the clutch pedal when we move her. Anyway, I only cleaned out the 30 year old fluid from the slave and master (it was BLACK) and washed out the bore of the slave with brake parts cleaner, tipped the cylinder UP and filled it full of new fluid, reinserted the plunger after I lubed and cleaned its seal and pushed it down into the bore. I cracked the bleeder to get the plunger back in and down into the bore and thought "I wonder if it will work again..???" Well....it does. We got a bit of air out of the system but it functions good enough to work that 3200# twin so I say it is just fine (mind you I have all new components for the clutch hydraulics in stock but there wasn't anything wrong with the old one when the car went down). That is why I tested the clutch ;).
My old SBCs, yes we can spin the oil pump on them, but honestly, I ALWAYS assemble EVERY MOTORS oil pump with assembly lube and I never worry about them, they've always worked. This motor had sat for 5 years, assembled, and even though rolling the engine over without plugs didn't pick up oil, my son and I really thought it just wasn't turning over fast enough to start sucking. As soon as she fired up, the oil pressure came right in and up to 100. It has since settled to 95 on a first start but I am very happy, its gonna be a V8 Killer. I started BOTH HX40 cars yesterday, just to here them PURRRRR!!! :thumb::D
The weather has turned COLD today, but I am going to try to get a video up of how my fan delay timer operates. It is working as I designed and I will be doing the same thing to our 2 Z28 Camaros (and the Blue 92 DSM), since they do the same thing, (fans come on as soon as you turn the key on when they are warm).
Thanks for hanging in there with me while I got this car back up and running!
Any issues you all notice or questions you have, just ask!
I have waited a long time for this car to be back to stalking our local area!
:thumb:.
Marty

Ps: Here is a picture of the nasty clutch fluid. It looks like Coca Cola! OMG

16787169238668832419069874787061.jpg

Ok all, here is the way the Delay Relay is wired in to "most" electric fan setups.
Well.....maybe its just MY Frankenstein way, hell I don't know or do I need to add it to the Tech Section?
Anyway, without further ado......
Questions about it or improvements are welcome!

Here is the longest I have let the motor run so far. It does need to run at a high rpm for rings to seat, but they appear to have done that! :thumb:

Not much to say.........
I DROVE IT THOUGH :thumb::cool:
Just down the road. Needs tuned but will get me to the hospital....ROFL
Log says too much timing and as far as I can report, no transmission issues like there was.
Crossing fingers for sure!

Not much to say.........
I DROVE IT THOUGH :thumb::cool:
Just down the road. Needs tuned but will get me to the hospital....ROFL
Log says too much timing and as far as I can report, no transmission issues like there was.
Crossing fingers for sure!
Will be a beast

Proper tune and it will be. I need it to run good and get my mind off the year I lost on the auto car.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back