The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Street Build Resurrection of the Red 90 Talon

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thanks AGAIN Brian!
You always seem to come up with the coolest info :thumb::)

BRUH.

I owe both you and Marty a beer a piece. Or soda. Whatever your preference is. Lol.
BEERS....PLURAL ROFL
Maybe I could bust down to OKC and meet up with B for a brew or 2. I need to get out and meet a few close members! There are a few down in OKC and it's only about 3 hrs away.
:)

I am glad you asked! I noticed a damp area halfway down the cooler so I had to order a replacement 70273 B&M cooler.for piece of mind. NO LEAKS!
I could have mounted it facing forward but since it just wants to see cool air flowing thru/by it, I mounted this one at an angle and facing somewhat out towards the fender. I mounted it that way because I dont have a rock shield for the car and didn't want to throw a rock thru the cooler.

Aha very interesting!
Cuz the next thing I want to ask is if the stock fender liner does anything to protect the cooler from rocks getting thrown off the tire. Or do you run it without the stock fender liner?
A "rock shield" - would that be the stock fender liner or would it be an added part, like a rally type add-on?
I still have my stock fender liners but I haven't seen them on the car for so long I don't remember where they extend to. But just looking at them off the car, I don't think they would come down low enough in front to do much good.

Your B&M leak, do you think it was caused by rocks getting thrown off the tire? Or did the whole cooler run into something big, like the earth, when you made your run cross-country to get home after going off the road backwards ? 🤣

Thanks for the pics.

That was in the AUTO car......;)
After the discovery of the damp oil cooler, I am planning on fabbing a rock guard with some metal screening and put it in place of where the stock wheel well liner should be and also tuck it under the car also. It sounds easy, I will see if it will work and stay in place.

Oil cooler came in today!
I checked my 8AN line placement for the new pickup and it is very close so I am happy. I'll get to the new 525 pump and 8AN bulkhead when the weather is crappy outside.
I will take the time to thank our Supporting Vendors that have parts in this resurrection....JNZTuning, ExtemePSI and STM, thank you all.
Thanks to the Freelancers always of course too! :thumb:
Surprise pictures of the trunk area included!
That's some ugly colored 6 yr old E80nothin in the tank but it is nice and CLEAN!

20230207_200755.jpg

20230207_200650.jpg

20230207_200611.jpg

20230207_192505.jpg

20230207_192452.jpg

20230207_192440.jpg

20230207_192354.jpg

20230207_192331.jpg

Hmmm. I don't expect problems but thank you. A debris screen should work and the B&M cooler is also a bar and plate design. The car sat for EVER so hard to tell why it is seeping but I won't ask why I will just change it out, maybe soapy water spray and some compressed air later to look for any holes. :thumb:

Crappy weather.....new fuel pump and 8AN feed. I try to plan around mother nature.
Which one of those 3 1g AWD hangers did I modify???
The already modded one. I kept the 2 stock hangers STOCK. :)
Brand NEW TI Industries 525 from ExtremePSI (thank you) and the bigger AN fitting. I may be installing the assembly tomorrow, it depends on the weather.
Progress. :thumb:

Screenshot_20230208-195922_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230208-195906_Gallery.jpg

Fuel pump wired up and installed and 2 new tie rod ends on the Talon.
Done for the day, dragin' ass after last night's SUERBOWL WIN BY MY KANSAS CITY CHIEFS! 🏈🏆
It was a good game and I had way too many beers.....glad I stayed home AND took today off work, as usual. ROFL
At least I got SOME car work done, little by little.

20230213_153617.jpg

20230213_153631.jpg

20230213_153723.jpg

20230213_153735.jpg

20230213_153820.jpg

Any day the eagles lose is a good day! I don’t watch football and didn’t watch the SB but I was 100% rooting against the Philly chickens.

But, man. Marty I did my axles today and they were so easy. Partly due to your advice. Was a breeze!

Fighting with stuck caliper pistons due to rust and a wheel literally rusted to the hub however was NOT a breeze.

Glad I could give a little tip for help there @CrackedDSM ! Work smarter not harder!
There are still so many little/bigger things to get done plus double/triple checking all work to make sure I didn't mock it up and really got things TIGHT!

I pulled my FP to reposition the wiring and found a new tank gasket (I have more coming in) I had so that got done today, the 8AN line to the rail is buttoned up, tie rods greased and tight, passenger side trans mount mounted, shifter cables bolted on, brake lines checked for leaks, blown out slave reassembled and bled, twin disk checked for movement (yep it moves, yep its stiff), heater hoses tightened up.
That's all.
Progress....I have Presidents day off so I will try to get some more things knocked out. I would like to just enjoy the day off with a DSM cruise (that may happen in the 3 speed auto car LOL).
Stay tuned! Lots more to do!

20230219_144332.jpg

20230213_153617.jpg

20230219_103447.jpg

20230219_121009.jpg

20230219_121626.jpg

Oh you just have to know Vegas, we go back to before I was a Mod.....oh the good times.
I TOTALLY EXPECT IT.
THANKS @Vegas Smith ! :pROFL And yep it's some BABY 8!
I am going to work on the stuff between the motor and the firewall today and maybe get the intake on.
@enriquez2000 is out working me so I need to get more done!!! Nice work Sean!

Mine is tucked in the drivers rear wheel well since the passenger side is hogged up by some huge, unusual Methanol pump....:idontknow:
It had been sooo long since I had been in that car that I had forgot that it had Water/Meth installed. I run E now! :cool:

Mine is tucked in the drivers rear wheel well since the passenger side is hogged up by some huge, unusual Methanol pump....:idontknow:
It had been sooo long since I had been in that car that I had forgot that it had Water/Meth installed. I run E now! :cool:

That's my ONE gripe car-wise about living in NW Florida. There is zero e85 stations near me that civilians can access(there's one pump on base but a lot of good that does, plus they want regular gas price for it). The closest station is like 3 hours from me. I have been very tempted to fill up a 55 gal barrel anyway. Lol. But yeah, I miss Sheetz and the $1.75 E85 they'd have. It consistently tested at E80-E83 for me even in winter. The Edge loved it. The rear end that almost literally exploded out from under the back of the car, did not however. Apparently 400+awhp is way more than the ford engineers designed it for. :p

Well my "plans" for the day kinda went sideways. I got the PS pump and Alternator mounted (wrong side of motor, I know). Spent the best part of an HOUR searching for the ARP exhaust NUTS which about drove ME NUTS. Finally spotted them in a box set back behind other engines, so I put ALL the hardware/fasteners in place on the engine today.
THEN, I helped my oldest son mate his Tremec TKO600RR transmission to my LT1 clone SBC that has all the "goodies" in it (Eagle, SpeedPro 11:1 bottom end).
He has a real nice McCloud clutch setup and all the adaptors for it to go into his 86 Z28. I don't have a car to use it in so he might as well run it. It ran real good with my 10:1 motor in it. This motor is much healthier.
Thanks for watching the thread! More of the 90 Red Talon updates coming soon! Life keeps us ALL busy. I have a million things to do but not a million days left.
Pops

20230220_145501.jpg

20230220_145508.jpg

20230220_133345_002_01.jpg

20230220_143716.jpg

20230220_143724.jpg

While it doesn't look like much (but about $100 of fittings), I swapped my old fuel feed line over to my complete hardline return line, no rubber components. The car has all new 8AN feed plus I had the conversion fittings that I had used on the original feed to go to my 6AN Fuel Filter (that is now 8AN also). Now I can start to assemble the intake side of the motor, I think.
Little by little (but still not cheap), I'm making PROGRESS so just hang In here with me, it won't be long. Hoping to have the old girl running in a month. 🤞
I have my Ethanol sensor and Fuel Pressure sensor all plumbed into the return side and feel good about it all.

20230227_163039.jpg

20230227_130310.jpg

Possibly tomorrow's project.
Shouldn't take long.
Champion CC1949 Radiator, 1 Spal Curved Blade Puller and 1 Spal Straight Blade Pusher.
A couple $'s there too.......
Still PROGRESS at least. :thumb:
This poor car got all of her goodies taken and put into the Blue 92 Auto car so NOW SHE GETS NEW STUFF!!!
The PUSHER goes on the other side, of course, but that didn't make a good PICTURE! :)

20230227_193015.jpg

20230227_193023.jpg

20230227_193035.jpg

I knew I forgot SOMETHING......
FIC 2150s since the Blue car stole those too :nono:ROFL

Attachments

• 20230227_195413.jpg
    20230227_195413.jpg
    534 KB · Views: 28
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back