The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Restored 1ga GSX wheels

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ErikTande

Supporting Member
Dec 17, 2012
Centennial, Colorado
I was having a hard time finding 1GA GSX wheels that hadn't been totally abused or painted black (why did people hate these so much?), so I finally gave in and bought a set that had been spray painted black. It took about 20 hours of work to strip, clean and paint them, but it was worth it. I love these wheels. Now all I have to do is get some tires on them, get some new brake pads and get them put on.

Here's a couple pics, and I also did a tutorial video, I'll put that up on youtube in a couple weeks.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited by a moderator:
Those look really nice. Did you just clean them really well, or did you use some sort of paint at all? I am looking to clean mine up as well. Would like to see what exactly you did to give me an idea.

Those look really nice. Did you just clean them really well, or did you use some sort of paint at all? I am looking to clean mine up as well. Would like to see what exactly you did to give me an idea.

Cleaned and painted. Started with a pressure wash, then a good scrubbing, then paint stripper, more scrubbing, more sanding, more scrubbing... Then prep, mask, primer, paint and clearcoat.

Keep an eye out for the video, it will be a step by step on how I did it. For the paint, I used rustoleum self etching primer, then Dupli-Color wheel paint and clear ( HWP101 - Silver paint, HWP103 - Clear ) Dupli-Color :: Wheel Coating

Look great! Probably will do same thing too.
Also why did you go with wheel paint VS regular paint/clear? (Not questioning your choice, just curious)

Now if only someone would make a set with the "twist" reversed on two, so they look right installed...

I have found from experience that using the paint that has a specific use works very well. Especially with Duplicolor. That is a great product. I just did some interior pieces with Duplicolor vinly/fabric paint, and iif you follow the instructions on the can exactly, it turns out amazing. Jusy my thought on it all. I will be getting the Duplicolor paint for rims when I do mine as well. It is all in preperation and the product you use that makes or breaks jobs like these. Also to the OP, I have the same rims on my GST. The previous owner installed aftermarket lugnuts. They are black locking lugnuts, they actually look really good. Stand out a little, but not too much.

The repaint looks good.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back