The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

[RESOLVED] weird light show on cluster.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spawn87

15+ Year Contributor
Dec 6, 2007
sacramento, California
so this started randomely the other day i know nothing is wrong with the parts it indicates.
with that said.

the cluster randomly lights up the battery, brake, and radiator lights
heres the catch they are dim (as if they were shorting out) but they go off and on randomly.
are these lights suppost to light up normally when i start the car? (like bulb check)
i took a picture of how they look so you can better understand me.
the main question is how can i fix it?

the first picture is of the cluster when i turn it on (note the e-brake is not on)

the second is when im droving how they come on

the third is to show you what i mean by they are dim (i turned the e-brake on)

Attachments

• SSPX0870.jpg
    SSPX0870.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 237
  • SSPX0866.jpg
    SSPX0866.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 231
  • SSPX0868.jpg
    SSPX0868.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 232
This happened to me when my alternator went dead. First thing would be to check how tight the alt. belt is. If it is loose, tighten 'er up. If not, I'd look into getting a new alt. :talon:

ok i did just put a new alternator in .... (old one worked but i just had this one aroudn) so i might of not tighten the belt enough... ill keep you posted.:thumb:

My car is doing the same exact thing

so is mine man its the brake battery and rad idk what it is but other then my clutch being dumb it runs just fine

Those are the warning lights thats are displayed to indicate that the alternator is going bad. I promise! i just put a new battery and alt in mine but for some reason this time around they still come on. What ev though this isn't my first trip around a dsm with those lights all parts are under warranty so if they go bad, its back to advance!

I was getting this and the alternator was shot, replaced it and then 6 months later Im getting it again, but Im 99% sure its the alternator again.

so does this mean its bad already? because the car starts and runs fine... i say this because im soaping turbos tomorrow and since im gana have the time and space might as well rip out the alt and go exchange it, its still under warranty

Well it will crank and run fine, after all your alternator is probably pushing 15-16+volts to your battery and all other electrical items (bad)...Invest in a cheapy voltage meter at Wal-Mart, and see if it's over-charging or under-charging....Either way it's the alternator, and I wouldn't risk frying ECU, battery, lights, etc.

ok well im not gana put your advice to waiste ... tomorrow im going to see which autozone has one for my car and go get it exchanged. thanx to everyone who helped out and ill keep posted.:thumb:

ok so i changed the alt. and problem solved and more experience gained... thanx to everyone who took the time to help out:thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back