The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Resolved Turbo coolant line flow question

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Black94DSM

15+ Year Contributor
Jan 17, 2006
Madison Heights, Michigan
I need to know if the turbo gets feed from the thermostat housing and then returns the coolant to the water pipe behind the turbo.

I sealed off the stock water pipe because I ran a oil cooled turbo. Now I'm back to running a stock 14b and I want to water cool it again.

If what I think is the routing of the coolant I "should" be able to return the coolant through the stock water line that was there from the oil cooler.

I hope that makes sense.

Feed from thermo housing--->return to where the coolant would go from the oil cooler.

I'm running a air cooled oil filter housing now.

This should work if I'm right. This would be temporary of course.

The line from the filter housing goes to the rear water port on the 14B; the line from the water pipe goes under the turbo and connects to the front water port.

If you're feeding the oil supply for the 14B from the filter housing (restrictor recommended), you really do not need coolant lines if you allow the turbo to cool before shutdown- the same as your Pretty Terrible Engineering 50-trim.

I would be feeding the turbo from the head for oil.

Here is a crude picture of what I'm looking to do. I just need to know if this would work. As this would be temporary.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

The coolant feed comes from the thermostat housing right? And the coolant returns to the water pipe under the turbo right? If so I could do what I drew in the pic. That would work for me for now. I don't want to source out another water pipe right now. Unless somebody just gives me one. haha.

The coolant feed comes from the thermostat housing right? And the coolant returns to the water pipe under the turbo right? If so I could do what I drew in the pic. That would work for me for now. I don't want to source out another water pipe right now. Unless somebody just gives me one. haha.

If you study the pic of my almost-stock FWD underhood, you'll see the line from the thermostat housing ducking down behind the j-pipe on the turbo....this is going to the rear banjo fitting:

I already know this. Thanks for trying to help me. It's hard to do this over the internet sometimes.

I know the way the factory routes all the coolant lines. I just want to know if I can cut the front coolant line on the turbo and take a rubber hose and connect it to where the oil cooler line went to on the water pipe. (the nipple nearest the water pump)

Is that any better at understanding. I hope. LOL

I was just also wondering what line is the feed and what one is the return. I'm pretty sure the feed line is the short one from the Thermostat housing and the return is the one that goes under the turbo to the water pipe.

Looking over it again, I'm pretty sure this will work. I'm going to run it this way.

Thanks for helping me on my noob question guys.

Here is what I did. This should work out.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back