The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Rix Racing

[RESOLVED] tranny and transfercase died...got some questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david r

the splines on my tranny and TF case have rounded off, so Im stuck with a down car..My question is other than replacing both, what are my options? I have a complete NT 5 speed, can it be converted to fwd? They are both 91 talon,eclipse. Please any suggestion will be helpful.

The stripped splines are caused by your center differential failing and allowing excessive endplay of the output shaft. Grab the shaft and try to pull it in and out of the trans, if it moves more than .030" you center diff needs rebuilding, welding, or replacing.

If you just replace the output shaft and the shaft in the Xfer case it will happen again. Go ahead... ask me how I know! :cry:
I have a complete NT 5 speed, can it be converted to fwd
Isn't an N/T already FWD? :confused: Or do you mean convert your CAR to FWD?

Rick - '91 GSX :dsm:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back