The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

[RESOLVED] Torque Converter wont come off crank?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toofast82

15+ Year Contributor
Feb 8, 2005
Tinley Park, Illinois
Well I'm in the midst of my swap to 5spd from automatic:
I have the auto trans out of the car at the moment. When i was taking it off, i couldn't get the converter to stick to the trans and had to pull it with the converter still on the back of the crank.
I can wiggle the converter back and forth, but when I try to pull it out, it doesn't come free :|

Yes, i took all of the converter bolts out.
I have tried to use a prybar and large screwdriver to get it out.
No, it is not crankwalk, the flexplate and crank don't wiggle or move, just the converter

I'm assuming the crank bushing that sits in the crank, that the converter sits in is seized/toast:hmm:

Has anyone ran into this and has a way they got it off?

well i ended up getting it off. I had another person and I pry the living shit out of it. This was not normal. Also what was strange was there was no groove worn into either the converter or crank bushing. It must have just seized in there.
If I was putting the auto tranny back in, I would definitely use some anti-seize or good grease as well as a new bushing.

If anyone is curious, the reasons for the swap to 5spd:
-a friend of mine gave me a tranny, tcase, and rear diff for $75:sneaky:
-better gas mileage and pure fun driving
-I have some anti-lag code i'm dying to test out on my pos 14b, which im trying to kill!
(I have a 20g and hx-40 i'll be using by end of summer if I don't suffer catastrophic failure)

My thoughts on the auto(i'm sure no one cares)
Last year i began having issues with the tranny slipping and not shifting right or at all. I did the usual, fluid/filter change and tested the tcu, which tested good. I then went ahead and decided to try this manumatic mod i found on the site.
With the shift controller i made from this thread(I pmed the OP and he was extremely helpful with diagrams,etc:thumb:)
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/art...iews/286205-diy-1g-clutchless-manual-mod.html

The shifts were lightning quick and faster than I could ever shift a manual.
I beat the living death out of the car because I new I was going to 5spd, the tranny never skipped a beat and still shifted great
The car launched excellent and i was pulling 20psi at 3-3200rpm on stock converter.
Upon recent inspection of the tcu, i do now feel i may see some capacitor leaking slightly(but i'm no "steve")
The auto tranny, i'm sure would pull pretty consistent times, and is less harmful on the drivetrain on launch in most cases

I had many a second thoughts on the swap, but i am past the point of return, but am very excited. I try to drive the car as daily as possible and demand good fuel mileage. My auto wasn't getting very good numbers, although i had a hard time keeping my foot of the pedal

I wanted to update this in case anyone else runs into this: My a/t crank bushing was very seized in the crank which caused these issues in the first place.
I tried to use the pilot bearing puller found at the parts stores with no success. The prongs were a tad too big to fit between the bushing and crank.
I ended up cutting the bushing with a dremel and cutting a piece of it. I did some grinding on it as well to try and weaken the bushing.
Then I was able to pry it out with a large screwdriver, which wouldn't budge it before cutting/grinding.
IPT said it was kind of rare for the bearing to seize in there, but that's my luck!

I just had this happen to me for the first time last week. Usually the converter slips right off no problem but this time when I was pulling the engine out of a new DSM I could not get the converter off but it wiggled around like you said, so then I took the rubber mallet and pry bar to it for half an hour and it finally wiggled off the crank.

I just had this happen to me for the first time last week. Usually the converter slips right off no problem but this time when I was pulling the engine out of a new DSM I could not get the converter off but it wiggled around like you said, so then I took the rubber mallet and pry bar to it for half an hour and it finally wiggled off the crank.

Yeah, mine definitely did not go smooth.
Getting the bushing out of the crank was absolutely horrible, too
I tried a puller, grease, prybar, finally ended up cutting it in a few different spots until I could pry it out.

Trust me the toilet paper trick is the way to go grease is to thin and is hard to compress unless you have a tight seal all the way around. The t-paper will compress with even a bad seal like a loose socket. And the only mess is a little water while you are packing it in there. when you are done the paper just pulls out dry.

On the other subject of the converter sticking just happened to me the other night with my new 92 AWD auto i purchased when i was pulling the stock motor out the converter would not come free from the bushing in the crank. I proceeded to lift the motor in the air and jerk it violently back and forth finally the converter came loose and the motor came loose. But now the converter make a clicking noise in one spot as i turn it on the trans so i feel i may have broken something. So the moral of the story do not get crazy when this happens LOL. This car is getting a new converter so its not really a big deal for me.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back